Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An up date on cottage - not looking good  (Read 2515 times)

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
An up date on cottage - not looking good
« on: June 09, 2009, 12:11:33 pm »
Went back on Friday with the architect and builder that did our extension to get a professional opinion.  Turns out that Andy (architect) had been to see it before and knew a lot about it.  Although it's not a listed building it's deemed to be of 'architectural importance' so can't be knocked down (hence the reason it's been on the market for nearly two years!) but suits me just fine.  Basically, as long as the exterior remains unchanged you can do what you like inside.  Paul (builder) reckons by lowering the floors and the ceilings you could do a loft conversion.  It would be a very big job but I've no illusions of that.  So lots of positive noises from everyone so far.  I asked the estate agent what the state of play was and there was still only the one cash offer so far.  When we were leaving Andy took me to one side and told me he knows the guy that's made the offer.  A local man who's borrowed money against his restaurant business because he hasn't been able to sell his own, very large house, in the posh end of town in three years and was going to be applying to the courts for a resolution this week!!!!  So time is running out and with the housing market so flat and the value of our own house dropping dramatically (though still positive equity) just like everyone else, it looks like it isn't going to be this time :'(
I'll keep scouring the web and keeping my fingers crossed that something else comes along in the not too distant but I doubt if there'll be anything quite so perfect that won't cost £$£$£$£. 

But the dream hasn't died............................................just going for a wee sleep
Auds x

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: An up date on cottage - not looking good
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »
Could you do the same?  Borrow against your present property until it's sold?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »
Perhaps the people wont accept his offer????    And I know this is a platitude but something else even better will turn up eventually. 

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 11:32:02 am »
Hi girls.  Sorry for not replying sooner - busy week what with dd2's birthday party and school fetes etc it's been a bit mental.  To be honest I don't think there's a bank in the land that would lend us the money we'd need to do everything.  It would be different if the place was habitable and we could do work to it a bit at a time but it's riddled with damp and parts of the floor have completely come away from the walls.  I'll be keeping my finger on the pulse and you never know, this might be the month my premium bonds come up lol!
Auds x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:07:33 am »
And if it doesnt well -  some years ago we were looking to buy a bungalow for MIL just down the road from us.   We made an offer which was accepted (we were virtually cash buyers) on what appeared to us to be the perfect bungalow and they agreed to take it off the market.  So when I saw the estate agent taking another prospective buyer along I was not best pleased, we enquired why were they still showing people around when they had accepted our offer, and were told they were going to continue to try to get a better price until contracts were exchanged.  MIL was extremely upset at the time.  We found another even closer to the beach just 2 weeks later.

When the original bungalow was sold my sister in law visited the new people, who were unable to live in the place as the day they moved in the water system "collapsed" leaving them with a bill of some 5,000 £ and several weeks work.  (This was 13 years ago).  The work was on-going as each time the fixed something another problem came to light. 

The moral of this tale is keep looking, dont give in and dont be downhearted  .......   

Audmum

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:15:34 pm »
Thanks for that HM.  You are right though - this cottage could turn into a right nightmare as building control would be breathing down your neck every five minutes.  Like you say, there's no rush and it gives me time to learn more about things so I'll be prepared when the time comes. 
Auds x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 06:37:43 am »
As it will ...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS