Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clip wings on chicks  (Read 2625 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
Clip wings on chicks
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »
Is it ok to clip the chicks wings? They are 8 weeks old and flighty.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Clip wings on chicks
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »
Are they flighty in the sense that they could fly away and you would lose them?

I don't think that personally I would clip the feathers of such young birds.

I find that chicks have short bursts of fluttery flight but I haven't seen any of that age looking as though they would fly far enough to cause a problem. Not even my Friesian ........ and they certainly can fly.  ::)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »
Completely unnecessary in my opinion. They might jump and flap a bit but they're not going anywhere.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 08:52:47 pm »
The question suggests that your not yet equiped for your young hens.
Why would you want to clip such young birds they can be a bit flyghty but their only exersising their wings. If you need to clip them then ask some one who has done it before.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 09:32:53 pm »
Pointless exercise Katog. They will shed their wing feathers again soon and clipped feathers often don't shed properly either. They should be in a covered run anyway to protect from airborne predators.. If you do clip their wings their escape mechanism has been removed in case of a predator -easy prey for even a rat.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 08:54:56 am »
I've been at home for weeks now so have been able to let them out to free range round the field but I have to go to work next week so instead of leaving them all day in their covered run which is 3' x 5' attached to their shed house also 3' x 5' we tried putting them in with the other hens who didn't hassel them at all but one of the chicks flew over the electric fencing and therefore not safe from predators when we're not at home. Inside there are lots of places for them to hide under and a wee house with their food and water which has a door which the adults can't enter.
I shan't clip the wings if you all feel it's wrong and shall rethink whether we can extend their covered run.
The alternative
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 09:03:58 am by katog »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:38:39 am »
I think I'd keep them in their covered run during the day and let them out for exercise/entertainment when you get home. As they get bigger they get much less inclined to fly.

As people have said, they are rather vulnerable if you've clipped their wings and anyway, they can still jump and flap, so can usually get over a fence regardless.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:48:17 am »
Yes, ok I will do that, thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS