Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB Testing goats/ raw milk  (Read 8513 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
TB Testing goats/ raw milk
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:09 pm »
Hi goaty sages,
Had a visit from the vet today to dehorn billy the kid. The vet suggested I regularly test the goats for TB especially since we drink the milk raw. I do live in Gloucestershire were TB is a major issue but I cant help but feel that its just a way for the vets to make some easy money!
Does anyone else test their goats? Also am I completely bonkers for drinking the milk raw? Thanks all in advance  ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: TB Testing goats/ raw milk
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:41:03 pm »
I drink my goats' milk raw. I've never TB tested. I don't know if it's an issue in Cumbria or not?

I'm old enough to have had the BCG (tuberculosis) vaccination at school, so I presume I'm immune anyway?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:49:46 pm »
Never tested for TB and nobody has ever suggested that we do test. we have been drinking  our raw milk for more years than I care to remember  ::) Our Vet knows we drink it aswell
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:09:27 pm »
TB testing for goats is not mandatory as far as I know, even in TB areas. Although there has been one recent outbreak in a herd of Golden Guernseys (and they had been sold to different parts of the UK before it became clear that they were bTB positive), but nothing else or since. Most vets will actually tell you that goats do not get bTB.

Unless your goats are looking unthrifty, cough etc I wouldn't test. You may have to if you sell your milk raw though.

My whole reason for having my goats is to drink raw milk/make cheese/cream etc, so I wouldn't dream of pasteurising.

I think given that you live in an area where TB has been high on the agenda your vet just wants to be definitely sure that s/he is not missing anything. S/he probably has to go out and test cattle regularly - it must be a heartbreaking task...

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 09:33:32 pm »
Hiya mariegold. How did the d3horning go? I had one both d poo ne by vet last year nd had a nightmare..one of them didn't come round from the anaesthetic for 5 hours.....nd a friends didn't come round until the next morning!! Needless to say all concerned very concerned. ...
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

tattycat

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:05 pm »
OMG. Sum funny spelling in last post!! Smart phone not so smart.....
Dun Roaming Smallholding and Open Farm. Ireland on Facebook

Smallholding Weekends  in rural Ireland.
Also some 'Showing Goat's ' weekends.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:42:48 pm »
We've always drunk milk raw as well, you're definitely not mad! Regarding the TB testing, I'm not sure. I think I might be tempted to test them if I lived in a TB area, but it would only be for my peace of mind. Maybe I'm just a bit paranoid about that!

Beth

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:22:06 pm »
http://ahvla.defra.gov.uk/External_OV_Instructions/TB_Goat_Instructions/index.htm
If there is a lot of cattle tb in the area there is a risk of spill over into goats. How high the risk is would depend on the local herds, badger movements etc.  If you slaughter goats regularly through an abbatoir overt tb would be detected in the carcases but by then you could have been drinking infected milk for a considerable time.  I think I would be quite cautious in Gloustershire.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:44:08 am »
I don't have goats but I don't pasteurise my Jersey milk. 

jaykay, sokel, Anke & ballingall - we are all lucky enough to live in TB free / low risk areas (although two parishes neighbouring mine are now not TB4 :(), so the risk to us of drinking raw milk is small.  (And in my case, the organic dairy farm next door sells raw milk, so is tested every 12 months - so I figure I'd get an early warning ;))

And yes, jaykay, I had BCG jab too, though at Uni, so have assumed that would cover me anyway.

But I have to say, if I were in an area where bTB is rife, I would probably want the piece of mind of a test on the same frequency as my neighbouring farms.

Defra maintain and publish stats on TB testing.  In 2013, 6 goats were tested and TB was found in 3 of them.  (For sheep it was 35 tested, 3 positive.   Alpacas 52 tested, 25 positive; pigs 15 of 64, dogs 1 of 9, cats 16 of 60, deer 11 of 63 (of which 8 positives in 30 wild deer tested.))  Generally species other than cattle only get tested if there is reason for suspicion - so it could be far more widespread than anyone really knows.

The website for looking up the stats is here.

Defra's current information states
Both sheep and goats are susceptible to TB. There is a risk of transmission to humans if unpasteurised milk or dairy products made from unpasteurised milk from TB infected nannies are consumed. There is no active surveillance for TB in sheep or goats; cases will tend to be identified at post slaughter inspection.

Sheep and goats will be TB tested, at Defra’s expense, if located on premises where TB has been confirmed in cattle (subject to findings of a veterinary risk assessment), or if M. bovis infection has been confirmed in the goat herd itself. Where an owner wishes to tuberculin test their sheep and/or goats in the absence of confirmed M. bovis infection on the premises or in the immediate vicinity, testing may be undertaken privately by the owner’s veterinary surgeon at the owner’s expense. Such testing must, however, be agreed and approved by AHVLA.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 08:36:21 am »
So if they tested positive would it mean compulsory culling like in cattle? And what about  ovement restrictions and then a regular testing period? Just curious...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 08:51:10 am »
So if they tested positive would it mean compulsory culling like in cattle? And what about  ovement restrictions and then a regular testing period? Just curious...

Yes I think if positive test you are under the same rules as for cattle...

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 09:07:33 am »
Thanks for all the useful thoughts. I've had my BCG but I know that TB is horrible for the animal so perhaps I will test for their sakes and for the sake of friends / friend's children.
There are no cows within about a mile of where the goats are kept but I share the yard with lots of horsey people who drive over from other parts of the town, I guess they might come into contact with TB from their neighbours. Aaaa so much to consider, think I should move up North or maybe Orkney..........

Our disbudding went well, no problems at all but I really am in two minds about how necessary it is. Trouble is I'm not keeping little billy, hope someone else would like him to keep their own goats company and it seems that people don't really like horns that much!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:02:09 am »
Did little billy get ringed at the same time? Just saying, as entire male kids can be fertile from as little at 2 to 3 months - when they are effectively stull suckling their dam :o (if they are) or become a nuisance anyway and have to be kept away from females.

I would find out the cost for TB testing first and maybe there are other goatkeepers near you who can advise you on the pro's and con's? I sold a GG last autumn to someone in Gloucestershire..., so there are goatkeepers about.

Where have your goats come from? More important to check what the TB status is at their previous holding - and if you don't have cattle (or Alpacas/Llamas) on your holding I really would think seriously before testing. You don't seem to be a really high risk (IMO)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:58:46 am »
  "If you slaughter goats regularly through an abbatoir overt tb would be detected in the carcases"

How is it seen Farmvet?  I have meat goats so not overly worried, interested about the signs post death.

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:14:39 pm »
I rubber banded poor billy, he was a bit of a wimp about it but soon forgave me (the vet checked my handiwork and said it was all good). I think I'll try contacting the local goats society to see what their thoughts are. Just been to check on enfys our  pregnant toggenburg and she has some mucus discharge, fingers crossed!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS