Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Orfe
« on: October 05, 2011, 08:35:11 am »
Earlier in the year i introduced two new ewe lambs, they spent the first 2 weeks in confinement in the barn and all seemed well, then after putting them on to pasture they both got the orfe virus. Gladly it only lasted a couple of weeks and it cleared up. Ive never had it before and now some of the other lambs have sores (one in particular is quite bad) Im treating the areas with antibacterial spray just incase of secondary infection.
Im aware that it is viral and it has to run its course but i was wondering if it would be worth treating my main flock (seperate field at the moment with tups)with Scabivax and was wondering if anyone has had experience of antiviral treatments or should i let it run its course. I am maticulas when it comes to barn cleanliness and clean with antibacterial powders after lambing and also a light spray with formalin.

Thanx in anticipation

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Orfe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 01:21:33 pm »
Hi there

Unfortunately you may now have orf living on your farm.  Fortunately your sheep will most likely get used to it.

We very rarely have any problem with older sheep, just a few lambs each year.  Washing their faces in Daz then applying Septiclense (antiseptic) does help but you are right, as a virus it has to run its course.  BTW, you shouldn't really be using antibiotic unless there is an actual bacterial infection to treat; hence we use Septiclense rather than blue spray.  It will prevent infection just as well as an antibiotic and not have a resistance-inducing downside.  (It's also a heck of a lot cheaper but that's not why we use it.)

Yes, Daz - and it has to be Daz, not any of the others.  Don't ask me why only Daz, but a vet suggested I try it and it really does clear them up quicker than Septiclense alone.

The only times I've had a real problem with orf have been when there have been a lot of thistles we couldn't top, (the prickles puncture the lambs' lips and the orf virus gets hold) and when we had a bad year and the ewes didn't have enough milk - the lambs tugged on empty teats, caused damage, the run-down ewes got orf in the cuts and the lambs, underfed, suffered too.  Since then I've given ewes more cake, especially if the grass is short and/or they are rearing twins, have left very very few ewes with triplets even in a good year, and have tried to get the thistles topped before July is too old.

If you want to scratch for orf, most people around here seem to do it as they wean the lambs, and only scratch the lambs not the ewes.  It is not a step to take lightly as it's a live vaccine, so it does bring the virus to the farm.

If I were you, I would wait and see what happens next year.  If you do get it again and it is bad enough to warrant preventative treatment, you could think about vaccinating the year after and henceforth.  If you vaccinate next year, then for sure your farm has orf from then on.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 03:34:47 pm »
We have orf on our farm, some years it breaks out others not. We don't scratch for it because as Sally said it is a live vaccine and they carry risks in themselves. In the affected fields we maintain good hygiene during an out break and do these last after all the others. we use gloves and boilersuits and a foot dip even though to be honest birds and deer can spread it on.
Be very careful because any sores on your own hands are suseptable.
We have had it on ewes' udders, so you must monitor suckling lambs very carefully and lambs get it in their mouths so again monitor and be prepared to feed soft food or bottle feed.
We usually give a covering antibiotic jab under vet's instruction because the sores although viral are very open to bacterial infection.
Both times we have had it, have been during a very wet February

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »
yes be careful when handling
my hubby caught orf on his hand
it was very painful.......
MX

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »
I second that - DONT TOUCH with bare hands - orf in its human form is very painful!

If you vet is out of Daz then you could always try ovaloid capsules or orph paste which are the only two (to my knowledge) external applications  for orf.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 11:42:14 pm »
 A cheap and very effective way of getting rid of Orf, told to me by an old farmer, is to put down a small container of salt and flowers of sulphur. The sulphur is obtainable from the chemist and mix it with an equal quantity of salt. The sheep will help themselves and it clears up the Orf completely.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:52 pm »
I completely forgot to mention that we, and most of the other farmers around here, put out Dennis Brinicombe's 'Frobut' tubby bucket for lambs as an orf preventative.  I am convinced they do make a difference.  We only had a noticeable problem in two fields this year, and in both the Frobut had run out and not been replaced.  The affected lambs were Dazzed and Septiclensed, the Frobuts replaced, and there were no further nasty cases.

http://www.brinicombe.co.uk/agriculture/products/animal_health/tubby.php
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 09:29:07 am »
You should not use scabivax unless the outbreak is chronic and extremely serious.  I would not suggest you are at that stage.

I just spray anything with terrymycin foot spray and I know it's not supposed to help but they always seem to clear up just after I've done that!

Also salt licks out will dry up the lesions.  And again, wear gloves, it is horrific if you catch it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS