Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs and runny stools  (Read 6276 times)

Mel

Pigs and runny stools
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:24:01 pm »
H everyone :wave:

I was wondering about my pigs stools being quite runny,one day they appear to be normal but yesterday it was really runny! Can they get an upset tummy at all,I have fed them their normal food though a couple of days ago I had some spare veg,swedes,parsnips,celery and such-grown here in the paddock,just clearing some beds and decided to give them as a treat-they went potty for it all!

The local shop has also said I can have all their waste veg and bread,but I do not know how I stand with this?-and can they eat bread?!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Pigs and runny stools
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »
Others more knowledgeable will be along shortly, meanwhile :

• I expect that like anything (including us), a sudden change in diet can affect the stools.  If they're back to normal now I doubt there's anything to worry about.  But maybe give them such lovely treats in more modest helpings in future!
  • Lucky you!  None of my local shops are prepared to let me have any goodies for my pigs  :(
  • I know of people who use supermarket past-by bread as a staple for their pigs - just make sure you reduce the pig nuts accordingly or they'll get too fat

HTH
Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 04:28:46 pm »
over feeding can give them the squits             if it is a lot of veg cut the hard feeding back       what hapens to your digestive system when you eat raw turnip and veg :farmer:

Mel

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:35:18 pm »
over feeding can give them the squits             if it is a lot of veg cut the hard feeding back       what hapens to your digestive system when you eat raw turnip and veg :farmer:
Hi :),Yes I have been measuring it all out and so forth,I did boil the veg in a big cauldron-down the field just to make sure.I am feeding them pig fattener pellets/rolls,12 weeks of age- 3lb a day or equivalent...is that right :0

Mel

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
Others more knowledgeable will be along shortly, meanwhile :

• I expect that like anything (including us), a sudden change in diet can affect the stools.  If they're back to normal now I doubt there's anything to worry about.  But maybe give them such lovely treats in more modest helpings in future!
  • Lucky you!  None of my local shops are prepared to let me have any goodies for my pigs  :(
  • I know of people who use supermarket past-by bread as a staple for their pigs - just make sure you reduce the pig nuts accordingly or they'll get too fat

HTH
Sally

Hi Sally,
I gave them 3 small swedes,10 parsnips 4-5 celery,and 2 curly kale,oh,and some mushrooms!,weighed pre cooking at 6lb.That's between the six of them though!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:36:15 am »
Well that certainly doesn't sound like a quantity that you'd expect to cause much of a problem.  How are they now?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 12:47:40 am »
They are fine but still a little soft,I don't think they are poorly,not judging by the amount of football they played today :D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »
Pigs don't normally eat mushrooms so suspect they are the culprit. just keep an eye on them, they will eat the veg raw if you chop or shred it.
HTh
Mandy  :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »
Could be the parsnips - they can give them mouth ulcers too.  I'm sure I was told by someone that they can also make pigs infertile if they have too many, but can't remember who told me & not checked it out, so we avoid them, just in case  ;)

Sally - I know the feeling - can't get anything from the shops about here, we have to walk along the ailses with trolleys-full of "own label" fruit, veg grabbing the bags of reduced bread  :-[
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:42 am »
Yes, we go about grabbing the own label food too ....and all the reduced veg and salad stuff, and bread.  9p per loaf if you go in on closing time.  I suppose they bin whats left, which is an awful waste, when my pigs, hens and goats would eat it.
I sometimes wonder what other customers think when they see the smile on my face as I  pile all the 9p loaves in the trolley, and the big long french sticks,.......

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »
lots of 2kg bags of carrots, the assistant ALWAYS say "making soup?" no, got pigs!

princesspiggy

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 11:05:21 pm »
how old r they? my tammie weaners had the squits in the 1st week here after leaving their breeder, and again when i changed brands of feed but never since.

Mel

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 10:50:21 am »
how old r they? my tammie weaners had the squits in the 1st week here after leaving their breeder, and again when i changed brands of feed but never since.

Hi,they are now 12 weeks of age,I put them on the sow rolls-well that's what my supplier calls them,they have been ok since,I think you may be right!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS