Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglets off food?  (Read 2217 times)

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
Piglets off food?
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »
Hi,
Our first group of weaners are now nearly 10 weeks and have been weaned for two weeks and scoffing grower pellets merrily. Last week one appeared lethargic and we gave her antibiotics, all fine the following day. Today they have not eaten their breakfast and are not really interested in food but have been drinking and are all up and about. Is this anything to worry about, and if so what should we do?

Any advice very much appreciated. Hoping we are just being over anxious, but as it is our first time would hate to miss something. The weather has been hot (ish) here, but all our other pigs are eating as normal.

Many thanks

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
Re: Piglets off food?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:27:13 pm »
I had this a while ago, turned out the person feeding them for me at the time had misunderstood my instructions and was over feeding them so they were simply stuffed full! They too were lively and drinking, toileting as normal. Their food was rectified and after a couple of days of half heartedly picking at this food they got back into the routine and were fine.

Could be a sign of something more sinister I know but if they're bright and happy it might be worth just cutting the food back a bit to see how that affects them?

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:01:57 pm »
As a relative newby though we have raised a few litters now I see a healthy appetite in a pig as being a reassuring sign. If ours stopped scoffing once they'd got used to hard feed I'd be worried. As previous poster suggested check they've not been overfed, otherwise I'd be assuming something not right. The only time we've ever had a dropping off in appetite was fairly scary as it was our first lot. We spent a sleepless couple of nights and then they were OK. Our theory was that they'd turned over a plant or something in the soil and had got belly ache for a day or so. Sorry not to be more helpful but I'd keep a close eye

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 08:29:34 pm »
How hot is your "hot" weather?  Pigs can't cool themselves by perspiring and begin to suffer heat stress when the temperature is around 21 deg.  Do they have shade, a wallow or facilities for being showered with warm water? 

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »
Many thanks for your replies. They have shade and water and I think the rations are ok, but it's reassuring that nobody has come back with suggestions of any horrible diseases that we didn't know about! We'll keep a close eye over the next day or so.
Thankyou

debbigord

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 08:13:53 am »
Just an update- all has returned to normal with little ones happily eating us out of house and home! We put out additional water and provided more shade- can only think it was weather related.
Many thanks for advice

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS