Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: In lamb ewe.  (Read 2627 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
In lamb ewe.
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:34:10 pm »
One of my ewes is not too good at moment and not inclined to eat, she is a first time lamber. I have drenched her for twin lamb and given her some Calciject 6 20cmd. She is up on her feet now, but  not right.
Any suggestions :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 02:46:15 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: In lamb ewe.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »
When is she due? Sometimes they go off food when near lambing.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:18:33 pm »
Not due until the 9th unless he caught her first time round., but she was marked again.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:41:40 pm »
As the lambs grow in the later stages of pregnancy there is less room inside the ewe for lambs and a full stomach which means that the ewe doesn't eat quite so much as she might normally.  Are you feeding nuts to her or just hay/grass?   Fussy eaters might appreciate a little bit of course mix rather than ewe nuts.   Perhaps get her in for a day or so to keep an eye on her and some extra TLC.   If she is unsteady on her feet I would most definitely get her inside as she will appreciate a warm bed of straw and water etc close by.  I Hope she is soon up and about and back to normal.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 11:25:06 am »
I'm deeply suspicious of a pregnant ewe off her food - I've always found it to be either she's lambing down or has a problem.  We generally tempt appetites by taking a pair of hedge shears and cutting grass and wild stuff from around the pond or along the lane. 

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:48:58 pm »
She is drinking well today and has started to eat hay. I'll see how she gets on.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:31:59 pm »
I hope she is going to be ok Karen  :fc:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:40:49 pm »
Ivy is usually the thing they will eat even if nothing else, if they won't eat that there's usually a problem.

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »
That's funny, just been out and given her some of that which she likes. Will give her some more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS