Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: emergencie fox has appeared  (Read 13600 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: emergencie fox has appeared
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:20 am »
Beat me to it  - not a good enough job on keeping your hens safe!

I thought  my duck run was secure - 7 foot netting, latch on the gate,  heavy wooden drop down pophole - my dog opened the latch, lifted the pophole with one paw, reached in and retrieved a duck - brought it to hand very pleased with himself,  :innocent: so I couldn't rage him - but a fox wouldn't have been so obedient and just as clever in opening things.  So it's a deadbolt on the gate today, and a snib on the pop-hole.  Makes life more complicated for me, but the ducks will be safer.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 06:54:22 pm »
I have put a security light up facing my run so if he comes back he will get a blast of light equivalent to high beams on a car and as I said the air pistol has low power as I shot my self with this and I'm still walking around  so its not that bad I try not to hit living things so I've put up a couple of metal sheets to hit instead makes a loud noise and as I said my neighbour wants to kill it I just want to defend my hens I have a secure run but I could go under or over my run is 24ft by 12ft and I don't have the cash right now to secure my run completely if you really want to save the fox come and have a look at my run and see for your self I don't want to kill anything  but the chickens that I eat

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 07:01:39 pm »
How high is the fence? That's the relevant part rather than the length and width.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 07:04:23 pm »
Posts stop at 5ft but with the extra wire comes to 7 ft

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 08:10:39 pm »
Seven feet should be high enough unless the Fox can pole-vault. And please don't shot yourself again :roflanim:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 09:04:49 pm »
So how is he getting in?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 09:12:31 pm »
By teh way, my instant security lights didn't stop foxy taking my hens - 10 out of 11.  How he missed one of them I don 't know, but 18 months later she is still laying well - a battery rescue, with 9 lives I think!  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 09:45:57 pm »
1…using an air rifle on a fox will see you in court for cruelty,

2… not many (if any) police firearms departments will let you use a 22 lr to shoot a fox..

Devon does allow 17hmr round, but many only allow 223 …..

you will need to trap the fox 1st , then take it to a safe area, away from houses to be destroyed

one thing you can try is..spread your urine around the outside of said chicken run… best do this from a bottle, as your neighbours might complain if they see you peeing outside….

not knowing the area…give your local PC a call….  http://www.cityvisitor.co.uk/kennoway/pestcontrol.html
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:51:37 pm by john and helen »

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 10:43:56 pm »

2… not many (if any) police firearms departments will let you use a 22 lr to shoot a fox..

Mine allows me to. I do have a .223 but the licence doesn't limit me to using it
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »
You have had a lot of good advice on this thread.
DO NOT TRY AND POISON IT.
DO NOT SHOOT IT UNLESS YOU ARE GOING TO KILL IT.
Take help from your neighbour or make your run completely fox proof if you can. Anything else is just going to land you in trouble or end up with an animal suffering.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2014, 07:34:04 am »
Cuthbert has summed up the thread nicely. 

Maybe any more comments would be better focusing on fox proof (well as much as possible) enclosures.

Thank you

Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2014, 01:29:00 pm »
That's all I wanted in the first place lol so any ideas people :hug:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »
Well. to go back to page 1. A couple strands of cheap electric wire and a cheap ebay hobby energiser with a car battery will work. Once they've had a whack they are very wary in the future.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2014, 10:02:44 am »
Electric fence as someone else said, buy a cheap unit as it won't have to run much wire to go round a chicken run. If he gets a zap off that he'll look for easier prey elsewhere.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS