Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blowflies  (Read 9773 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Blowflies
« on: July 04, 2012, 05:35:34 pm »
I noticed some blowflies landing on all of my sheep earlier - just the odd one or two and I batted them off, checked the sheep (no maggots).
I have clik'd them but if the flies are still landing, should I worry?
thanks
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Blowflies
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:56:38 pm »
I don't think Clik or Crovect repel flies, but either stop the maggots hatching or burrowing.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 06:29:46 pm »
Hi Plumbs,

You could use some Tea Tree oil in water to spray onto the sheep, that should deter flies.

Philip :sheep:   

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »
Thanks both.

Philip - will try that, they are leaving the ones you sheared alone but hovering on the fluffy lamb boys - I will tea tree them tomorrow!

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 07:04:59 pm »
I watched a little bird picking at something on the back of my sheep yesterday (nothing wrong with the sheep) more like the savannah than rural Hampshire....

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 02:56:21 pm »
Hi Plumbs,

You could use some Tea Tree oil in water to spray onto the sheep, that should deter flies.

Where the weather has been so wet & humid the flies will not leave the sheep alone even though they have been clicked.
What rate of oil to water would you suggest.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 03:20:05 pm »
I don't know how much, all I know is one of my customers uses a hand sprayer bottle (the ones you use for spraying flowers) full of water with something like ten drops of oil in, try it and see and if it isn't strong enough just add more oil.

The other thing some people use is the Garlic granules which they sell to put in horses feed, the only problem is the sheep start to stink!!!

Hope this helps,

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 03:43:22 pm »
The other thing some people use is the Garlic granules which they sell to put in horses feed, the only problem is the sheep start to stink!!!

I don't know how to break this to you, Philip - but most folks think sheep stink in the first place...   ;):D

:bouquet: :sheep: :love:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 03:53:05 pm »
Blow Fly Repel is very good stuff. It makes them smell like peppermint drops (and keeps the blowflies away!).
The smell of maggots attracts other blow flies so I would be very vigilant if I saw flies landing.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 04:58:19 pm »
Right, I am going to show my ignorance, I know  :(

There are presumably many different species of fly and I can't say I've ever looked into who is who in the fly world. Are the blow flies the slim ones with brownish bodies? There seem to be a lot of these around my sheep and me when I sit with them. Never noticed so many as in this last week. Getting paranoid  ::)

They have been treated with Crovect.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 05:06:21 pm »
They are bright green - actually quite a beautiful green - but that's the only 'nice' things about them  >:(

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 05:07:37 pm »
Sally!!! how can you say that? Sheep are such clean, flowery smelling creatures!!!Not ;D

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »
Oh , thanks Plums.

These are definitely brown. Wonder what they are? They like the sheep  ???

Okay, I will share a secret. I think sheep smell just fab. I love that smell . My friend along the lane say's she really doesn't get it! ???

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »
Horseflies maybe, they bite. :o
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »
ohhhhhhh nooooooo! sheep are stinky lol!!! Whenever I've been doing sheep jobs, I can smell it on myself despite showers/baths etc and no amount of coffee soap shifts it!

There are usually brown flies hanging about on the poo - sort of a coffee colour fly?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS