Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: favourite cider?  (Read 4571 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
favourite cider?
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:24:09 pm »
just been on holidays and came home with two different ciders, one is from devon and the other
is from cornwall both scrumpy.
i never liked this scrumpy before but been on holidays and seen this on sale on farmers markets i just had to
buy it, with wifes permission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have allways drank strongbow but tasting these two different scrump's one dry the other sweet i love it now.
my question is for those who also love the countrymans champayne what one is your favourite?
langdon :yum:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: favourite cider?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:37 pm »
I tasted strawberry and lime cider yesterday at our BBQ - yummy!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:04:02 am »
Well mate when you live where I do anything like that is bottled or manufactured sheep dip  ;D

Stop off in Somerset and visit some of the old farms that still produce it in the barrels and Ill ensure you'll like it, its as different from one to the other as anything else. I used to make it at one time.

My mates family had made it hundreds of years then it ended someware around the late seventies. In 85 we started to get the presses working again, took nearly a year to rebuild and acquire buggered bits of old equipment but we did it. Pressing out those first Hessian cheeses was so rewarding and the first batch tasted awsom. That was Coombes Cider, I fairly sure they are still pressing.
Another well known one is Rich's, but i never rated theirs that much, difficult being a friend of the family; theirs is too green. Oddly enough I don't drink it now  :-\

A break in the hay field on a hot day after stacking a few hundred bails; interupted by the farmers wife coming out in the landrover with cheese sandwiches and a flagon's of cider. Oh sweet memories. That my friend, was without doubt the best cider that ever past my lips  :yum: :yum:

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 11:10:37 am »
If you are ever in Lincolnshire, stop off at a village called Skidbroke. Their cider is to die for. The trouble is, it's too nice and too easy to drink! it cost £20 for a large box of 10 litres. then come and sleep it off in my spare room! LOL

ukphil

• Joined Feb 2010
  • wigan
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 03:59:05 pm »
Old Rosie

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 09:48:12 pm »
pear
or that jacques stuff with berries

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 09:53:20 pm »
Dont drink much nowadays but my favourite was a scrumpy they sold in a pub in the back streets of York. Cant remember name of either so it must have been good. But you got your first pint in a blue glass and your second in a green, when you took the green glass back you were not allowed another!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 11:29:01 pm »
Hi We have lots of good makers round by us http://www.ciderroute.co.uk/site/index.html- spoilt for choice really

The ones I like best currently are Dunkertons Organic,  you can stop by their farm and taste all their varieties and buy in the nice old fashioned glass gallon jars. And Olivers http://www.theolivers.org.uk/page4.html they do a good range of ciders and perries (even better than cider in my opinion) and on Saturday you can go and try them all before you buy.  They have returnable bottles (50p off next bottle) and also sell in 5 10 and 20 litre bag in box.  Plus they do an excellent "champagne" type cider and perry in lovely bottles with wire fasteners.

all the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »
Roger Wilkins cider barn at Mudgeley. Fortunately just up the road from me. Proper cider in a proper cider farm - as you go in a mug is thrust in your hand and there are always a dozen or so locals chuntering away around the walls. I think some of them may have grown into the walls. As endorsed by the late Joe Strummer, and as you can see in this clip, Johnny Rotten.

http://www.c1der.co.uk/cider_with_roger.htm
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 12:18:25 pm by Billy Rhomboid »

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »
i love 'suffolk cider with blackcurrant liquer' you can get it in tesco in tall bottle(nice bottle thats why i bought it at 1st...lol) its about £2.50 ish and its tastes sooooooooooooo nice!!
'can't rain all the time!'

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 08:57:09 pm »
Rattlers Cornish Cider - apple or pear, cloudy and delicious!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 12:20:55 am »
Merrydown Vintage - but the cans, NOT the bottles (have a funny taste). Absolutely heavenly cider! But too easy to drink!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 12:44:03 pm »
Stowford Press everytime!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS