Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our very first lambs!  (Read 2362 times)

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
Our very first lambs!
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:39:12 pm »
Had a bit of a surprise in the field when I went to feed today - found two brand new lambs (one of each) belonging to the sheep that was raddlemarked to lamb on the 27th! So I'm glad that they are up and about and she seems a very devoted mum so far.
I moved the other three girls down to the other paddock so that they don't try and interfere with the bonding. The water bag was lying in the field when I got there and I hung around for an hour or so to try and see both lambs suckling. Whilst I was there the afterbirth came out and Daffodil had a nibble at it. Some neighbourhood crows have since disposed of the rest quite efficiently.
Both lambs are dry and I've seen both suckle (I think). They have been slurping and waggling tails and when they come away they've had milky looking mouths so I'm assuming they are getting milk. She corals them around the field and makes lots of noises at them, and they do in return. Both lambs seem to be skipping about quite well although they are also lying down quite a lot. One also has a very floppy ear. Is that normal?

The lambs both seem quite skinny but as these are the first newborn lambs I've ever seen, I don't know if that's normal? I've just been out to check them in the field and they seem quite happy and warm. They've both had a shot of alamycin (on the vet's advice - as we only picked up our Heptavac today, to vaccinate in time for our first lambs in three weeks  ;) ) and I've dipped their navels. Anything else I need to be doing?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Our very first lambs!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:15:43 pm »
All sounds good  :thumbsup:

The floppy lugs sort out in time. I've had them with 'helicopter ears' (one up, one down) for a while but it's come right eventually.

They do look skinny. Newborn lambs can have little fleece, and are quite slim, and I'm not familiar with Zwartbles. But that one standing is rather thin.

Mum won't have lots of milk for a couple of days - it's colostrum for now, but it sounds like they're feeding well so I'd just keep an eye on them and hope they fill out a bit in the next couple of days.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 10:32:47 pm »
But they are not teeny... and those legs - a modelling career in the future perhaps ;D...
I would however watch for mum's milk coming in, and if in doubt stomach tube in the meantime.

Hartwelljulie

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 11:01:04 am »
Congratulations!  They are beautiful  :D

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »
 Anything else I need to be doing?

Waste the next few hours -  'just going to check they're alright again'   :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 12:57:44 pm »
They look bonny, congrats :).

If I were you I'd collect up the afterbirth in future and dispose of it (assuming the ewe doesn't want it).  You don't want to encourage the crows.  Crows will easily attack a weak lamb or stuck ewe etc.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS