Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fruit and veg  (Read 8668 times)

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
Re: fruit and veg
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 06:43:53 pm »
Our local greengrocer is happy to let us take away unwanted veg and fruit, but it makes me really angry that our local supermarket, the Co-Op, has a policy of boxing up all their slightly blemished bananas, apples, cabbage and cauliflowers, weighing and recording them, sealing up the boxes, burying them in a locked bin outside, then locking the place where the bins are, to stop anyone like me with animals removing them.    There is no way they will make any exceptions or let you sneak off with some, and presumably after that it is all taken away and buried in landfill - what madness.   No doubt it's some bloody EU rule as usual, but what a pointless waste.   Wrote to the company but of course no reply.   Tamsaddle

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »
all the supermarkets are the same       but under the rules you could not get it anyway they sell meat and meat products :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »
THAT explains my local co op... i asked first  got a no,,,then sneaked round the back, it was almost high security, will give up on them. get mine of market veg stall.

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »
fruit and veg suppliers are the best option  they have to pay for disposal so you are saving them money just the same as micro brewers they have to pay for disposal as well :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:26:33 pm »
I know they've got their stupid rules they have to abide by, but how could the veg and fruit at supermarkets possibly get contaminated by/be in contact with the meat and dairy?  Everything arrives in separate crates and plastic boxes/bags inside them, then the different products get stacked in completely different parts of the shop from trolleys loaded with one kind of foodstuff at a time only.   It seems to me to be taking a sensible rule (ie doing everything poss not to spread foot and mouth) and taking it to ridiculous lengths for no conceivable benefit.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 09:51:22 pm »
Harry
Thats a crock of poo, take verything you hear & read with a dose of common sense! i very much doubt those mangas were raised on JUST raw spuds as mangas are notoriously slow to fatten and need some protein based feed ie nuts to get them to weight, so don't even think about it for your pigs! On average you ned 4lb of fruit and veg to replace 1lb pig nuts so bear that in mind, i tend to think of freebie food as a supplement but if you're getting enough of it by all means replace some nuts but not all. Use YOUR common snese in this matter.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

I'm only telling you what she told me - she puts a tractor bucket full of potatoes into her field on a Sunday and tops it up when they've eaten them.

Mine had potatoes, nuts, barley, veg etc - they were slaughtered last week at 14 months old, they were 89 and 91 kilo's according to the abattoir, Arl who butchered them had to cut about 5 inches of fat off the chops and said they were very fat - we have two big bags of fat to render down into lard - so I don't think they've done too badly on it
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 09:54:31 pm by reedos »

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 10:58:15 pm »
5 inches of fat that is 130 mm
did you want them that fat  :farmer:

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:26 pm »
Well iv just cut up these tattie fed pigs and im impressed, bearing in mind that is all they would have got in their country of origin and they are meant to be reared for fat,lard ect reedos has got rather a large amount of meat as well. Not all pigs obviously require the same diet and i think this is the uniqueness of having a go with our rare breeds. I wouldnt recomend it for most of them but in poorer countries some breeds have evolved on what is avaiable
Arl

princesspiggy

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:17 am »
if it is the person  i am thinking of  i heard she was feeding barley with them as well   but mangas are meant to be fat
grass eating pigs     tattie only feeding pigs     what next :farmer:

from the horses mouth    im sure its tatties, wheat, barley and silage.
chinese whispers ... ;)

chickenfeed

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 08:02:51 am »
if it is the person  i am thinking of  i heard she was feeding barley with them as well   but mangas are meant to be fat
grass eating pigs     tattie only feeding pigs     what next :farmer:

from the horses mouth    im sure its tatties, wheat, barley and silage.
chinese whispers ... ;)

if your going to feed potatoes dont feed wheat and barley the same feed it will cause more laying down of fat.

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:56 am »
5 inches of fat that is 130 mm
did you want them that fat  :farmer:

No to be honest we didn't want that much - but I was worried that they were going underweight - reading stuff online about Mangalitzas they often go for slaughter at 140KG !!

We've now got two bags of fat which we will render down.

And by the way - thanks for your services Arl, we are very happy with what you did, I had some sausages as soon as I got home last night and they are ace ;D

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
Thank you glad to be of service and nice to meet you both in person.
Arl

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:31 am »
We used to be fortunate to get leftovers from a Fruit and veg market stall twice a week to feed out GOS. Pineapples ( including spiky bits) were favourite and peaches,(especially crunchy centres) would go next. Brussels would not be touched, neither would onions and leeks only if there was nothing else interesting going on. Parsnips we found they would eat if young (the parsnips and the pigs) but stopped putting them in- if we found them)- after we heard about the blistering.

Since moving we are trying to find a new source of fruit and veg remnents. Currently no veg from garden or left over fruit from our trees. ( sad pig face)

Harry - what do you mean waxing ducks and geese??
Jo

SMarshall

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:41 pm »
We used to get veg waste from our local co-op but they stopped it saying that their now get paid for their left-overs to go to and be incinerated or biocomposted or something :-s

Steph

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:42 pm »
Harry - what do you mean waxing ducks and geese??
Jo............... you dip plucked geese etc into hot wax to peel the down off ....parsnip blistering is just the parsnip tops isnt it ????/?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:49:52 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS