Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I stop[ myself buying everything ???  (Read 2377 times)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
How do I stop[ myself buying everything ???
« on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:41 pm »
Hi we are off to the rare breeds sale at York tomorrow. My problem will be, I want to buy them all.... How do I stop myself buying all the pigs there ?   ...Oh and also want a Highland cow and some sheep.... wish I had more room for animals   

:wave:

HappyHippy

Re: How do I stop[ myself buying everything ???
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:20:17 pm »
I'm like you - I'd have 2 of everything ! So I'm definately not in a position to give advice of how not to buy - I say buy it all !  ;D
You might find the prices stop you from going mad - or getting them all home - or what to do with them once you get them home  ??? (Does that help ?) If you're limited on space you've got to weigh up whether you'd rather have a cow............or 10 pigs lol! Or how much fun it'll be trailing round them all in the winter (especially if it's like the one we just had ;)) Oh, if only I could follow my own advice  ::)

Could you post what pigs were for sale and what they went for once you're home ? I need to start saving my pennies for the rare breed sale at Lanark  ;)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:38:31 pm »
Hi Debbie, i went to the last one, there wasn't much there pig wise?? But plenty of cattle and sheep! The prices weren't much cheaper than buying privately
We usually go to Selby market to buy, you get them much cheaper!!!  ;D every other Saturday 
On the catalogue for tomorrow there is 1 exmoor pony! bless it all alone, and its the horse sales today  ???
One great plus about murton sales is the food is lovely!!!!!  ;D
If you go on the website HH you can get the catolouges and results via email   ;)
http://www.ylc.co.uk/

Danielle  :)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:38:39 pm »
 Yeah I have looked at the results from the last sale, and the prices do look a bit steep. But will go for a look and to see how it works. might also go to Selby for a look, I love auctions anyway so should be fun.

We need some more pigs Danielle as the ones we got from you are off to the abattoir on Monday. Am not too keen anymore about taking them for slaughter. I get too attached, so am planning hopefully to start breeding them instead and selling weaners.

Debbie

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 04:23:54 pm »
I go to the auctions to see what's there but come away before the bidding starts, otherwise I find I can't come home empty-handed!! ::)

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 04:37:08 pm »
I didnt end up going today, went to the local farmers market at malton, and couldnt say no to 2 doe lionhead baby bunnies for my litle girl  ::) £4 each was a bargin  ;)

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
Re: How do I stop myself buying everything ???
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 08:46:06 pm »
 Well we went to the auction today, it was so much fun... We came home with 11 weaners... 5 Berkshire pedigree's, 4 MiddlewhiteX Large Black ( which suprisingly are white, but just with a different nose) and 2 Berkshire X Pietrain.

The prices were very reasonable, we paid an average of £40 per pig... there were quite a few in pig sows going through. these were going for between £100-£200 each, which I thought was quite cheap.

We might keep some of the Berkshires for breeding, and then take the rest back to the auction in October.

I would highly recommend the auction, so much fun.

Debbie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:16:54 pm »
What about the Hielan Coo and the sheepie mehs?  Did you resist them after all?  Well done though - sounds like you did well!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Pigglewiggle

• Joined Jan 2009
  • North Yorkshire
    • RoseCroft Rare Breeds
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 09:47:24 pm »
Hi,

Yes I did resist the cows and sheep.. The highland cows were only going for £400 each tho, which I thought was a good price... and they were so cute. Had to sit on my hands to stop myself bidding.  ;D

We really do need to move to somewhere with land, That is our next move....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS