Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Brahma cockerel  (Read 926 times)

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
Brahma cockerel
« on: February 07, 2024, 09:10:43 pm »
Hi, a bit of advice please.
 Our wellsomer cockerel has just lost a fight with a goshawk. I have the opportunity to have a brahma cockerel to replace him. Im just a bit concerned about his size and the hens. They're not small hens, wellsomer/ black rock crosses. What do you think?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Brahma cockerel
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 08:17:30 am »
Brahmas are very popular here where generally they can have a lot of space. The cocks are very tall with long legs and feathery feet. Of course they are big, so my first consideration would be the coop- can they get in it and out safely? Is there enough low perch space? As to damage of the hens. He might not be able to catch them, but there is always a risk that he finds a 'favourite' and crushes her. Have a look at some videos to get a better idea.

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2024, 09:16:19 am »
Many thanks for your thoughts. Space and coop wont be a problem. I'll see if I can find some videos of them with other breeds. The hens were pretty subservient with the previous cockerel but I guess they might not be with a new one.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2024, 11:15:22 am »
You could try searching in French, because you may find a lot more Brahma videos?
Race (breed), coq (cock), géant (huge), poule/ poules (hen/s or chicken/s). Just seen a real monster squeeze out of a tiny round pop-hole, which isn't going to be any good for him at all.

Barrie

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2024, 02:04:27 pm »
I'm going to go and have a look at him. I've done a bit of you tubeing and there are some giants. I can't see there all going to be that big. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS