Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can I milk once a day?  (Read 794 times)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
Can I milk once a day?
« on: January 06, 2024, 04:57:28 pm »
I’ve 2  in kid saanan’s.

Plan was to leave kids on for 3 to 4 weeks, then separate at nights so I could milk in the morning.

Can I continue to only milk in the morning even once the kids are weaned?

Bywaters

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Can I milk once a day?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 09:09:36 am »
I don't know about goats, but my friend in france only milks his cows once a day

On the other hand, my daughter was milking some of our sheep, 3 times a day, but they still had their lambs and it was perhaps 200ml each

It depends on how much you want from them, I guess and how much they are giving. Milk production is supply and demand related

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 02:12:36 pm »
It depends how much they are giving, if bred as high yielders they may be uncomfortable until yield settles. As you are going to share with the kids for a while, you'll e able to see how they go on anyway.
I much prefer just morning milking, too much going on in the evening, I get later and later.
If weaning at 6 months maybe yield will be dropping anyway?
When are they due to kid?

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 10:15:52 am »
One is due in n February, the other is a first timer so not entirely sure if she’s definitely pregnant or just going to be a bit later.

Would weaning later say around 6 months let me just carry on lifting the kids at night and milking in the morning?

And even milk twice a day every 2nd or 3rd day once weaned just until they seem ok. Obviously I’ll be milking every morning right up until 2 months before they’re due to kid next year

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 11:45:42 am »
I think about 6 months is fairly standard for weaning goats, they seem to better taking a bit longer than lambs.
So yes, if you are happy with amount of milk you get for yourselves, once a day milking will be fine, best way in my opinion  :)

Russpig

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2024, 03:37:33 pm »
Thanks folks very much appreciated. Can’t wait to get them kidded and onto the milk 😁

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS