Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass Cutting  (Read 11767 times)

DIGGER

• Joined Sep 2010
Grass Cutting
« on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:40 am »
Hi All,
I have got to get the grass cut on my 4 acres, it looks a mess and the fencing is not up yet so grazing animals is not an option at the moment even if it was in good condition. Could anyone recommend someone to do the job or know of a good hire centre in Caithness. I am considering hiring something like a power scythe or other suitable Equipment.
Any advice on this subject would be appreciated,

Digger  :dog:

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Grass Cutting
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:30:29 pm »
Not an expert but power sythe would be quite slow for 4 acres - 3 foot cut and walking pace. I would look to hire a ride on lawnmower if the ground isn't too lumpy; Many of these cope well with overgrown an weedy ground but can move faster.

I once hired a power sythe to do my acre and it took most of the day.

Or maybe ask a local farmer if he can make hay out of it?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
We mow with a quad bike and a powered mower towed behind (Quad-X) and are often asked to do other people's fields. So it might be worth putting an ad locally (we're too far away!) and see if anyone has this sort of set-up and would be prepared to help.
Or if you can wait, the farmer-for-hay could be an option?

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:12 am »
4 acres? depending on what you intend to use the land for it might be best to invest in a small compact or ride, on a mid mounted kubota would do it in a couple of hours and its fun

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
  • Grass cutting, what old fellers do!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:59:52 am »
Go for a compact and flail. For four acres I would head into the 25hp bracket with a four or five foot flail. Most dealers in grey Japanese will do a package for you, Coleys right, Kubota, Yanmar or any good Japanese will not let you down.

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 11:06:03 am »

Topper would be better, flails are good but they will annihilate any wildlife sheltering in the grass :wave:

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:14:41 am »
I do contract work on tight paddocks, the flail will get closer to corners and isnt as bulky for me. Agree about topping and wildlife though. As they say though " the customers always right" and they are paying........

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 11:33:04 am »
Wish I knew someone in Clackmannan who could cut my grass for me - my ride on mower battery has died and I've been waiting 10 days for a replacement.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 11:44:36 am »
Our land was/is very tussocky and when we first cut it we used a borrowed flail and we were amazed to find where we had been cutting was attracting a heap of crows, when we had a look the amount of dismembered frogs put us off flails for life :( so now we use the Topper on a high setting at this time of year then keep the grass short with the kubota

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 12:41:24 pm »
ride on mower battery has died and I've been waiting 10 days for a replacement.
Have you tried a local motor cycle dealer? I got a battery from there for my (now deceased) lawn flite

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:21 pm »
It's still under warranty so have to get it from the supplier.  They'll be closed today but I'll be onto it again tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

poppajohn

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Fenland
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 04:53:38 pm »
Coley, I flail my own 2 acre paddock every fortnight, the customers every month or so ( depends if they have the cash! ) The flail will give a stripe finish and I keep it short for free range poultry. The only topper I have liked was a Big Bee from the US, they are quite compact. I frankly dont like them much as the sheer bolts break too easily. The flail will only jam usually and they are easier on the linkage for travelling, the toppers tend to put more strain on it on the road due to implement swing.
Just my two pennorth!

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 06:09:03 pm »
 If you are starting out with shortish grass then a flail gives the better finish but we are going at 40 acres with a high density of frogs, and nesting birds, the topper we have is a 5' job on the back of a shire 30 hp, know what you mean about implement swing, nearly had a disaster when it was mounted on an old izeki on a two wheel trailer, got to 40 MPh and the whole lot started to fishtail, needed new underpants that day :)
We leave the topper up there these days as it is just to cumbersome to trail back and forwards, hopefully the local thieves will regard it as to much work to pinch it

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 06:25:14 pm »
cautionary tale there 40mph in an iseki  the legal limit for tractors is 18mph  :o :o :wave:

Coley

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 06:59:14 pm »

Sorry, the izeki and topper were on a two wheeled trailer pulled by a disco, both the izeki and trailer have gone to the great scrapyard in the sky :) mind I didnt know there was a legal limit for a tractor? I usually pop around at about 22/24mph, saying that I am generally bouncing around so much I cant focus on the speedo

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS