Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: build it with pallets  (Read 13868 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: build it with pallets
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:24 pm »
hey budo 1 if you are ever in tenby pop in for a cuppa
a nice warm cuppa awaits :D
Langdon ;)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 08:58:39 pm »
got the book today i have to say i was expecting a little bit more than what
is in the book.
by that i dont mean number of projects but better projects.
i dont know if im even qualified to make this comment as my d.i.y. is not that great!
anyway i will give them a go and see what happens ;)
langdon ;)
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 09:03:01 pm »
Langdon A little something for you to remember I cannot lay bricks but I can watch you pick up the trowel and know instantly if you can :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:12 pm »
I have built a few small chicken huts using pallets, was buying some poultry from this old poultry keeper and he had lots of small huts I asked him what he had made then with and he replied old pallets, so I had a go and they turned out not to bad and cost me practically nothing fantastic :farmer:
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Big T

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 07:08:13 pm »
Hi,

I have looked at this book and it did seem a little lacking! I have made allosrts out of palletwood, from garden benches and trugs to egg cups! The best way to look at palletwood is as a source of free wood, once you have taken them apart (which is harder now cause they seem to use nails with barbs on) you can build or make whatever you want! Find your local industrial estate, ask around and you have an endless supply of free wood! (Also firewood if you have a woodburner ;)). Pic below is of a laminated garden bench I made from palletwood.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 09:12:03 pm »
That's a pretty impressive bench! Well done.

What do you mean by laminated or what is the process?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Big T

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 09:44:48 am »
Hi Ian,

By laminated I mean that the planks of wood are all joined together standing on their edge, there are approx 15 planks held together with studding and glue. This process gives you a nice solid piece of wood from using just planks. The legs are made in the same way, with pallet "noggins" fitted on each side of the leg to give it support. The complete process is below;

1) Measure your planks to get the maximum useable lenth.
2) Drill a hole in each end of the planks and one in the middle. (End holes should be a couple of inches in from the end of the plank)
3) Through the 3 holes fit  lenths of studding with a nut and large washer on the end.
4) Apply glue to the inside face of the plank and slide another plank down the studding so the glue is between the 2 planks.
5) Apply glue to the inside face of the second plank and slide another plank down the studding.....
6) Repeat process untill the bench top has reached the desired width.

Basically you are clamping the planks together on their edge using studding and gluing as you go.

When you have the right thickness you need to make a plank with three large holes in it to cover the ends of the studding that will be sticking out, when you have done this screw it to the bench top. You now screw a plain plank over this, this will give you a nice smooth plank on the outside so you cant see the studding. All screw heads should be countersunk and finnished off with dowels and glue.

The same process is used to make the legs, they are held on with coach screws fitted through the "noggins" that are screwed to the tops of the legs.

Finnish it by sanding untill smooth, apply a coat of varnish/white spirit mix (50/50) and let it soak in. Once dry rub it down and apply a coat of varnish. Give it 3 coats of varnish to give the wood depth, rubbibg it down with fine wet and dry paper between coats.

Job done! Now sit on your new shiney bench with a well earned cuppa!

Total coat is under 10 quid (coach screws, studding, etc,etc)

I hope all that makes sence, its a simple process but quite tricky to explain!

Regards,

Anthony.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 05:51:40 pm »
Got it Anthony, well explained  :)

I'm going to have a go at that. I just need a sander that's half decent.

Thanks for the info,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Big T

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2010, 08:28:09 am »
No worries! You will need a belt sander to do it properly ;D

Sonia in Cornwall

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Meet Blue - our little bundle of chaos
    • Going Stress Free - our personal mission
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:22 am »

... (mutters) more toys....  ::)   ;D
"Often people attempt to live life backwards - they try to have more things, or more money, in order to do more of what they want, to be happier.  The way it really works is in reverse.  First be who you really are, then do what you need, in order to have what you want."  Margaret Young

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »

... (mutters) more toys....  ::)   ;D

Right on both counts  :)

Ian

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 10:42:40 am »
Love the look of that Bench BIG T

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2010, 09:42:46 am »
Although quite disappointed with the breadth of content in Build It with Pallets, and it seems it was rushed out as some of the stuff are just plans, I have used it as great inspiration for whacking stuff together and using various ideas as the basis for other things.

I've done some hurdles, that are massively useful, not just for the sheep but for keeping the kune-kune out of the garden, turkeys out of the main field etc etc.  I've built little log sheds, a coal bunker, particularly proud of the saw-horse and a porch for the pig sty.

I do love that bench though!!!

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2010, 05:22:34 pm »
made a very nice dog kennel to go inside larger run with eldest daughter, also found them very usefull at lambing time for temp pens, seems an endless supply at the moment from work so converting most into firewood..................and its free heating!

Big T

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 09:29:35 pm »
Thanks for the bench compliments!  ;D. I was going to go into business making furniture out of recycled wood but it will take time to get off the ground and to establish a name for myself, watch this space! I made a few free standing butchers blocks that sold quite well but its the avaliability of wood that dictates what you can make but thats half the fun!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS