Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: build it with pallets  (Read 13871 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
build it with pallets
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:06:11 pm »
i just ordered the book online tonight( cant wait so excited).
something jacobs the guys name is.
got his other book- projects for smallholders (brill book)
has anyone else got this pallet book?
if so what have ye made
langdon ;D
Langdon ;)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: build it with pallets
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 10:33:28 pm »
Just sent for it myself..............can't wait!

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:43:29 pm »
hey pal lets keep each other up to date with our handie jobs a little bit of encouragement goes
along way!
what do you have in mind to make ?
Langdon ;)

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 12:43:59 am »
I'm actually making a roof for my new chicken run at the moment. I've stripped the pallets down and i'm trying to work out how to make uprights to support the roof out of pallet parts.

I think that I may use the short pieces that are about 4 to 5 inches high (risers) to connect 2 lots of 4 pieces of pallet if that makes sense.........

To try to explain. If I nail one piece of pallet to each side of the 'riser' and then insert another riser at the other end but with half hanging out, and nail four more pieces on, then I should be able to make the whole thing look like a fence post if I fill the open end too.

Do you understand? If so, do you think it will work? I priced the fence posts up today and at £10 each I thought NO WAY!

Trouble is, I only have about 2 hours a night to do stuff like this as we are in the shop all day and by the time i've got the tools out, it's time to pack away. Still keep going, that's my motto.

What plans have you got?

I've got the stripping pallets thing sorted too by the way  ;)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:29 am »
Cant you leave the tools out till you finish the job? My OH has made himself a work bench in the garden using scaffolding supports and planks, and just covers it all over with a tarpaulin at night. Its been there a good 9 months now  >:(  right next to my lounge window and BBQ area  >:(

However, that aside, it does the job and keeps his tools dry at night.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 06:09:36 pm »
to be honest ian my d.i.y. is not the best out there, so im just going to egg you on with the idea you got,
and hope it works out for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have to say with all that written detail i dont see why it shouldnt work for you ;)
im looking to make chicken coops myself first of all and what ever comes after that!
im a bloke who trust in 6 inch nails driven in hard by a hammer!
will let you know when work starts, just waiting for the book :D
Langdon ;)

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 06:33:09 pm »
My papa was a joiner and also a firm believer in 6 inch nails !  ::)
Almost everything he has made/worked on needs an army to disassemble or take out  :o
Langdon - it might be worth tacking it together with screws til you're sure it's right before you go knocking in the 6 inchers - you'll be there a while getting them out if you need to start again  ;)
I'll be watching this thread with interest - might even have to go buy the book ;D ;D ;D

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:39:28 am »
Got the book today!!

It is quite basic but the ideas are sound and the pictures help too.

I must admit that i've got myself a compressor and nail/staple gun..............don't know how i've lived for so long without one lol. Because I have it now, it surely will be used with these pallets.

Unfortunately Egbert I can't leave tools outside. Things disappear round here  :( >:( :( I am however going to build a solid bench for inside my shed. Got some real heavy duty metal but i've got to get my chickens in first.

I wish we had more hours in the day  :)

Ian

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 07:18:47 am »
Hello H H Morning Ian I made 4 corner posts for David 8 ft long Saw a piece of pallat wood in half and nail to it a full length piece saw a piece 3/4 and nail it to that and the 1/4 piece to that now you have a box although its only 1/4 long take a full piece and nail it next to the 1/4 piece and so on until you have a post with no joints next to one another It is very strong He painted them with proper creosote  and made caps for all four to stop the rain getting in it must be 8/9 years ago now ;D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 01:09:05 pm »
im building a 4x8 chicken coop about 5/6 high with a sloping roof and a ship lap layering to cover. its going to be very heavy but it will last a lot longer than a shop bought one. the next task is a peat store and then a big gargen shed. the wood can vary a lot but you can get some really good stuff. the hardest bit is getting them in bits.

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »
I have just put the finnishing touches to the new rabbit shed... 14ft x 7ft. looks more like a log cabin i  could live in ha ha ha

I got a good supply of 4"x 4" x 8 ft long  pine and hard wood posts  and sheets of marine ply of various sizes. a friend of mine works at the docks and it all comes in packed between certain containers. i have been giving the site foreman a few quick to take van loads away... its awsome.
And although the posts are somewhat larger than normally used as its vertually free im not complaining.
There was a house having new glazing done and i have used their old upvc double glazed door and aluminium double glazed windows to put 2 windows in. I have built it on a raised decking. and fenced a portion of the 'rabbitry' in with some remainder 8ft marine ply sheets and posts.... the result i am seriously chuffed with considering i have never been the best carpenter.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 07:04:56 pm »
Can you post pictures Budo?

Sure wish I could get my hands on wood like that. Well done to you.

Ian

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
I will get some pictures on today. i have decided to build a small shed to store the hay.
Where are you located? i can get hold of some more wood... could trade?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 10:48:18 pm »
I will get some pictures on today. i have decided to build a small shed to store the hay.
Where are you located? i can get hold of some more wood... could trade?

Birmingham..............Where are you?

Ian

Budo1

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 06:52:38 am »
i am based in South Wales near Cardiff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS