Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pumpkins- what did I do wrong.  (Read 6005 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Re: Pumpkins- what did I do wrong.
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 10:29:21 pm »
Thanks. Cloddopper. Mollycoddling will commence!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:46 pm »
Hey! My pumpkins appear to be butternut squash and I now have about 4 set squashes! After weeks of dismay I feel disproportionately chuffed!

And I have picked and eaten my first courgette.I might even get another one or two off the plant. The slugs have eaten the other plants and all the squash plants.  :rant:

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 11:50:37 pm »
Well done MGW.
(I read your post about the 'slug slaying 'kitchen knife earlier. I have slugs attacking my tomatoes.  I need to fight back!)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 11:16:12 am »
slugs.. I took the trouble to by compressed blocks of chopped coir waste to try and keep the slugs out as I'd noticed on several occasions that the bagged tomato compost in the garden centres had slug slime 7 occasionally slugs between the bags which could have explained why I had so many slugs in the green house a few years back .
it helped but has not been the complete solution I'd hoped for .
 This year I put plenty of slug pellets all over the greenhouse floor .. the slugs still managed to chomp the tops off the first set of kidney bean plants I'd sown, but since the second application of pellets on the floor and a few in each tub  there has been no attack.

As a belt and braces approach everything in the greenhouse including the outer edges of the floor  also got a spray with nematode control when I did the rest of the garden . the first application seemed to work but six weeks later it also got a second going over when I re did the gardens .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS