Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One man and his dog.  (Read 2117 times)

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: One man and his dog.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:15:53 pm »
 :thumbsup: excellent  :roflanim:

when i go to pick helen up from work…you just know the kids will go through that puddle  ;D

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:21:14 pm »
Love it  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:49:16 am »
I'd say the dog has been trained to be 'ground-tied' - people do this with horses, so I guess you can do it with dogs too.  Great idea if you have a we'un going to take the dog for a walk - if the lead hits the ground, the dog will stand still until someone 'unties' him ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:06:18 am »
Never heard of 'ground tying' - how do you train that?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:12:24 pm »
It's something they do with horses in cowboy country, Annie. The horse is taught that when the rein is on the ground it is fixed there; eventually just dropping the rein to the ground is sufficient to 'tie' the horse in place. 

The technique is written up in Kelly Marks' Perfect Manners; if I knew where my copy of that book was I could look it up and tell you a bit more! 

The way the boy carefully placed the handle of the lead on the ground, and the way the dog stood and how it behaved while the lead was on the ground just looked to me as though the dog was 'under control' rather than making its own decisions.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:43:29 pm »
Our border collie would tell the kids to naff off I'm afraid, but I don't think border collies are dogs, they're just border collies  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS