Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A weasel....  (Read 1643 times)

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
A weasel....
« on: November 10, 2015, 12:40:19 pm »
I had a coop of bantams wiped out at the weekend... I found the weasel still inside feeding on the birds it had killed... It fled once I opened the door. I've put traps out but so far no luck. Last night it went into a larger coop and killed the smallest of our hens. All the other birds are bigger hens. I can only think it's getting in under the contours of the corrugated roof? Any ideas of how to put these critters off! Would a large cockerel make any difference?

A few people has suggested keeping Muscovy ducks instead of chickens as it appears I have moved to the weasel capital of Scotland!!

I always thought weasels were cute... Not anymore :-(
Metal Detectorist

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: A weasel....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 12:41:42 pm »
Get yourself an Egyptian Mau - ours catch loads of weasels.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

blades

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Huntly
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 01:01:09 pm »

Oh I'd love one but sad I have an allergy to cats and most dogs
Metal Detectorist

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 01:38:11 pm »
Upping security is the only way, I'm afraid.  We had a turkey hen on four young poults this summer and a weasel got through a 6cm hole.  We think the turkey hen stayed put with the poults under her to protect them as all the feathers were completely scraped off her back, but the weasel triumphed in the end.  We found a poult chewed up and spat out in the field the next day. 

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 02:15:11 pm »

Oh I'd love one but sad I have an allergy to cats and most dogs

My OH is allergic to cats but he is OK with the Mau's.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:14:18 am »
I'd get your self some fenn traps and set them in tunnels around your coops (just make sure you set them very light )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS