Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy Goats  (Read 3281 times)

Wannabeesmallholder

• Joined Mar 2022
Pygmy Goats
« on: April 19, 2022, 10:40:57 pm »
Please excuse my ignorance and sorry if this is a daft question.. But Pigmy goats what are they for?

I Like them they look really cute etc. But what can be practically done with them, can they be milked or used for meat?

Or are they more of a pet for pedigree breeding  ???

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Pygmy Goats
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 12:17:05 am »
You could theoretically use anything for meat, including a guine apig  :roflanim:
But realistically pygmy goats are almost exclusively pets
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Kiran

• Joined Apr 2019
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 07:09:37 am »
My sister and her family have 3, they are purely pets, however a positive by product is that they eat all sorts of cuttings and brambles (pretty much anything but grass) and their waste makes excellent compost

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 09:13:57 am »
In this part of the world Pygmies are pure pets, in the US the slightly bigger Dwarf Nigerian (different breed) is used for high butterfat milk and apparently makes excellent cheese.

If you are looking for a smaller but productive house/smallholding goat - Golden Guernseys are a good choice.

Pygmies are very difficult to keep to their enclosure...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS