Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lots and lots of brambles  (Read 4746 times)

littleelle109

• Joined Sep 2013
lots and lots of brambles
« on: September 07, 2013, 08:22:00 pm »
I was hoping to get some advice from any keen berry collectors, we have recently got a 3 acre field which is covered in brambles we have came to this self sufficient point in life and wondered what i could use them for, i read online bramble jelly would only keep for 1 month so would it be possile to pick the excess berries and freeze them till i was ready to make more jam? many thanks

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: lots and lots of brambles
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:45:24 pm »
I always pick and freeze berries, not this year though, its then great to have them when its winter, in fact I often simmer mixed foraged berries with cinnamon and orange and use them on porrage or in winter puddings, yummy......

littleelle109

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:47:11 pm »
That sounds yummy thanks I thought I'd be ok to freeze them thought I'd just double check :) I must admit I am very excited at the thought of making jam how times have changed

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:15:37 am »
I've just made Bramble and Apple jam and I expect it to last a sight longer than a month  :o   Which recipe gave you that advice?  Was that for freezer jam, which isn't made the same way as true jam and jelly?
Most people don't like the pips in Bramble Jam, so mostly what is made is jelly, but we love the pips and texture so Bramble Jam is a treat for us.

Have a look at some other recipes and methods for keeping jams and jellies.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:50:03 am »
Properly made jam should certainly last longer than a month. Admittedly I'm storing my strawberry jam in the fridge but that's because it didn't reach setting point properly so I was worried the water content would be high enough to allow fermentation. Freezing stuff does mean you can make your jams and jellies at leisure later.

I've also made blackberry cordial which is gorgeous and I have blackberry wine on my to do list for the next couple of weeks (just got to hype myself up to another batch of picking).

Clearly lots of puddings and things too,

H

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:42 pm »
What ratio of sugar to fruit did your recipe suggest.  Usually it is 1:1 and that should keep OK but if you reduce the amount of sugar it won't.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:00:35 pm »
Blackberries are fine frozen. We have just been picking some to make wine   :yum:

More picking next week for puddings and perhaps jam  :excited:

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:04:42 pm »
Our 1:1 juice:sugar jelly lasts far longer than a month. You can freeze the berries or if you need the space in your freezer you can cook and juice the berries and just freeze the juice. That way you can decide what you want to make later.

When we make jelly, I always take some off before its boiled to a set. Then we have a syrup to pour on icecream or merengue and greek yoghurt. MMMM!

Because of the abundance this year I'd love to have a go at blackberry wine.
Thrift Bee

littleelle109

• Joined Sep 2013
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 10:48:12 pm »
thanks everone for your help I fully intend to go armed with gardening gloves and a bucket tomorrow for collecting my berries truth be told I think the small holding bug has caught me this year next year im hoping to be far to busy to berry pick lol between horses sheep chickens, I will keep you all posted on what I decide to use my brambles for  :yum:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 11:33:14 pm »
One to one is only a starting point - it just means you're likely to meet the timings in the recipe (although mine always takes longer). Even if you start with more water, if you boil it for longer you'll lose the excess anyway so you should still be able to reach setting point. Anyhow I've had two odd jams this year - the strawberry which never set really well (although it's not bad) despite boiling for ages and redcurrant jelly which is like a brick even though it had barely started boiling (and according the sugar thermometer had not hit the right temp). No idea why for either.

H

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 09:28:11 pm »
Hester,

Strawberries have very little pectin and redcurrants have loads. I put redcurrant juice into my strawberry jam to ensure a good set. Keeps it a great vibrant red colour too.
Thrift Bee

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 09:31:01 pm »
I've just frozen two carrier bags of brambles from my own garden - loads more still to pick. :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 12:41:52 pm »
the less sugar you use the shorter the shelf life. 1:1 should last a few years, especially if you add pectin and citric acid. Why should brambles be different from other fruit, I wonder? I've made jelly this year (apple, bramble and plum and it looks georgeous  :yum: ) and froze the rest, more to come! :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS