Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody Hen  (Read 1283 times)

kitchen cottage

Broody Hen
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:41:01 pm »
My pet hen Emily has been broody for about 3 weeks but has no eggs under her!  I don't keep a cockerel so its rather pointless anyway.  I've tried to shut her out of the stable but she goes absolutely mental.  She isnt really eating and seems very listless.  She doesn't live with my other hens (they are new and attacked her >:( ) she lives in a falconry box in a stable so I can shut her in.  Charlotte (my sow)is in the stable and Emily has survived the fox because she normally sleeps on  Charlottes back).
I don't think she is sick though, just broody

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:12 pm »
You need to break her from being broody, they neglect themselves and have been known to just fade away if left too long.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:47 pm »
you are probably right. try buying eggs through the post or from someone you know.
My light sussex has gone broody today but on only one egg and not hers! I dont know whether to let her sit or not. It does also depend on where the rest of them laid todays egg....or where they choose for tommorow!!!!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:54:27 am »
if shes been broody for 3 weeks you need to break her from it, as fowlman says they decondition as they sit tight.
we remove ours and put them somewhere where they cannot 'sit'  and put cold water on their chest to cool down. some hate it and some you need to be more persistant

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:56:45 am »
If you dont want to hatch chicks, put her in something like a metal dog crate stood on house bricks - to allow cool air to circulate underneath her. Food and water as normal. It only takes 2-3 days usually and she will be back to normal.  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS