Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly ducks  (Read 1802 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
Poorly ducks
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:52:58 am »
I have two poorly ducks at the moment.  One Cayuga drake who has distanced himself from the rest of the ducks and isn't eating.  The other is an Indian Runner drake who doesn't seem to be able to walk properly but has a great appetite when placed next to the wheat bowl. He can also swim well.  I have taken them away from the rest of the ducks and put them in my garden shed last night. They are nice and cosy together in there.  Just wondering if anyone has any advice.   Our ducks are normally TOTALLY free range on the farm and have access wherever they choose to go.  They also have a massive pond for swimming.  We lost a drake a few days ago - just a bundle of feathers left by the pond.  Could my Indian Runner have been injured at the same time??  All advice greatly received!!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: Poorly ducks
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:50:29 pm »

I have twice had an Indian Runner go off it's legs and I blamed the Aylesbury drake who was so much heavier, after seperating her and letting her rest up she recovered after a couple of weeks, needless to say the Aylesbury drake had to go. I caught him up with the intention of dispatching him and having him for dinner,but he was so soft I just could not do it. He is now happily rehomed with Aylesbury ladies of his own. I have also had 2 with infected feet which required antibiotics, but they do seem to recover well.
Anne

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:01:44 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Daffy the Indian Runner is already looking more like himself but the Cayuga drake (my sons have named them all but the Cayugas all look so similar that I'm not sure what this one's called!!oops!) is still acting a bit funny. He's not eating but drinking a lot and seems to be a bit shaky?!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:39:41 pm »
May well be stressed if it witnessed it's pal being caught by Mr Fox or whatever took it. I know when I lost one of my geese the other was very upset and out of sorts for a good few days. I hope they all recover soon.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »
first thing put them on there own ..put some heat in bulb etc give them Nutri-Drops that will pick them up then feed digestive bickite with a boiled egg should pick up then Orego-Stim for a month ..good as new

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS