Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: She peed standing up!  (Read 2997 times)

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
She peed standing up!
« on: May 08, 2014, 05:38:19 pm »
Up till now poorly girl has only stood for about 30 seconds at a time in order to move position. When I took her nibbles of raspberry leaves and ivy over earlier I put them out of reach so she had to stand and she managed about 3 minutes. In the space of 1/2 hour she stood up 5 times and on the last time she actually squatted to pee  :excited:  I did put my hand next to her stifle once I realised what she was doing to stop it just going out at right angles but it is such a positive sign. I have never been so happy to see a goat pee  :roflanim:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
Re: She peed standing up!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:51:48 pm »
aww thats great news!    :thumbsup:

keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:59:59 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:26:16 pm »
Really good news!  :thumbsup:

How are the kids doing?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:33:31 pm »
Yay  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:06:37 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: YAY :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:27:50 pm »
Kids are doing fine. The little thick one has now worked out how to suck  :thumbsup:  I have them penned next to her so that they can cuddle up through the hurdle and I pop them in with her every couple of hours during the day so that they can feed and play and my long suffering OH is doing it every 4 hours overnight. Tomorrow I hope to progress to getting them to take the milk from a bottle as well as from mum.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »
Once my kids have been separated from the dam (usually in a pen next to her any time between day 4 and 7) they are NOT fed through the night. It does mean that they do get hungry, but if they are normal size they cope very well. If yours both take the bottle well I would try and give them one last bottle at 10 pm (ish) and then leave them o/night, first feed in the morning for mine is at 7am.

Although you may still have to go in and get mum up for her "standing up pee"... I do like your title btw, only on a goat forum will this not cause immediate hilarity! ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:55:58 am »
That's really good news!!

Some kids prove difficult to get on the bottle, if they have been on the mother - just needs a bit of patience and they get the hang of it.  I have two male kids and they took a few days to fully accept their bottle, but are fine now.  Your kids should be fine overnight without their milk - although mine seem to wake about 5.30am for their breakfast.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:57:12 am »
Agree with Anke, they certainly do not need fed in the middle of night. Apart from the day they are born, ours move straight onto four bottles a day. Unless they were really, really ill, but that hasn't happened very often to us.

Glad they are all doing well!
Beth

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
Good to hear things are improving  :thumbsup:
never thought about the heading till Anke mentioned it - re-read it - made me laugh out loud  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS