Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First lamb- but has it suckled? Help xxx  (Read 4444 times)

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
First lamb- but has it suckled? Help xxx
« on: April 20, 2012, 06:28:31 pm »
Hello. Our first lamb arrived today. Cue lots of panic!
She seems fine, Mum is very attentive, but as we are lambing out in the field I'm trying to give them some space and watch with my binoculars (have caught lamb and done navel but that's all).
The problem is- being a newbie- I can't really tell if it's suckled or not. She sticks her head under but I can't see what's happening.And then the ewe moves.
WE could bring them in but I don't really want to intervene if unecessary.
She is quite alert and sprightly so I'm tempted to leave her.
Would we know if she hadn't suckled or wasn't getting enough?
She's a few hours old now (probably 3-4). How long do I wait and see?
Thank you,. Joanne x

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: First lamb- but has it suckled? Help xxx
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »
Our first year lambing so please wait for someone else to reply but know how you are feeling.

Our first ever lamb arrived and we were desperate to know that it had suckled, especially seeing that a below zero night was forecast. Could see it going under but couldnt tell if it was latching on. Very wimpy Im afraid and sent for our friendly farmer friend. He took one look and said its fine!  ::)

His advice was to put a finger in lambies mouth and check that it was warm. Also a good sign if lamb lying down content and tummy feels full and not hollow and gets up with a stretch. Be concerned if lamb bleating.

You can see when milk starts to go through them by the lovely yellowy poo!

He said that they took only tiny amounts initially and you may well miss them feeding. He patted lamb on bottom to encourage him under for a feed. Worked a treat!

We just went on the general look of the lambs afterwards.

Hope that helps a bit. I remember the panic of that first lamb.  ;D

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:53:13 pm »
Even if you are lambing out and little intervention its ALWAYS a good idea to pen them for 24 hours so you can check mums udder is working, worm her and do her feet, eartag/tail/castrate lamb and make sure its feeding ok!

So.....go and grab lamb hold by front legs and dangle it in front of ewe and get her to follow you into some sort of pen. Then you can sort out all these things and let them out tomorrow...easy ;D
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
When she goes under the ewe, does her tail waggle?  That is usually a sign that a lamb is actually getting some milk.

Does she look as if her sides have collapsed in and her back is hunched up?  Then she hasn't fed.

Lambs usually manage to suck so if all seems well then all IS well.  If you are really worried, pick up the lamb and feel if her belly is a bit rounded and she is nice and warm, or if she is lightweight and hunched.  If you think she hasn't fed, put a clean little finger in her mouth and see if she sucks ie that she has a good sucking reflex.

Don't assume that something is wrong - almost always it's all alright  :sheep:

Ah - in the hills and woollyval have posted while I was typing - how are you  both so quick ;D so two different opinions.

It will to some extent depend on which breed of sheep you have - what are yours JMB?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 12:44:24 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:01:03 pm »
 ;D I always catch mine up as I'd need a net to catch a Ouessant lamb after it was about 3 hours old...move like greased lightening!!!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
Oh yes, as Woollyval suggests we did pen ours in the field shelter for 24 hrs just to make it easier to check they had bonded and in case there were any problems. One set of twins we left in a bit longer due to one being very teeny and a bit wobbly looking.

They would I am told have probably been fine left out in the field in terms of hardiness but my friend told me that twins were more vulnerable to predators.

And yes, catching the Soay after a few hours is next to impossible!!! A big net sounds worth a try ..... I have to do a bit of ringing this weekend. We are going to be very fit. ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »
This is always a time of anxiety and it gets a bit better as time goes on (says - she - this is only our second year lambing  ;D ;D)

We watched mostly with binoculars this year but - because the lambing coincided with a particularly unpleasant spell of weather - we were getting them in at night for a few days so we could have a good look and reassure ourselves that all was well.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 07:53:32 pm »
Jo, Is she a new mum  If you have a shelter in the field it will put you mind at ease later tonight knowing they are safely tucked up.  I keep all mine in for the first 24 hours if I can.  Congratulations on your first lamb. :thumbsup:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 08:48:01 pm »
Quote from: woollyval link=topic=23149.msg223480#m :Psg223480 date=1334944393
Even if you are lambing out and little intervention its ALWAYS a good idea to pen them for 24 hours so you can check mums udder is working, worm her and do her feet, eartag/tail/castrate lamb and make sure its feeding ok!

So.....go and grab lamb hold by front legs and dangle it in front of ewe and get her to follow you into some sort of pen. Then you can sort out all these things and let them out tomorrow...easy ;D

I dont do any of that. I take the lamb off the ewe as long as it takes to record gender, tag and iodine it and then give it back to its dam. I do this only when I am sure it is mothered up. I don't routineley foot-trim either......

More than one way to skin a cat, it seems. :P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 08:50:03 pm by SteveHants »

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:36 pm »
Ah well I only trim /check feet at lambing and when the rams go in.....and at same time I worm/fluke if necessary. Its impossible to capture Ouessant lambs if not caught quickly and then there is more stress! Primitives are much faster than 'normal' sheep! Sometimes I only bring them in for an hour or so, so I can do these jobs esp if an experienced ewe. We are surrounded by woodland so lots of badgers and foxes, and as Ouessant lambs are worth rather a lot i am slightly careful.
The other reason is that I worm and turn out onto clean ground after lambing.....the ewes and lambs always go on to ground that has been sheep free for at least 3 months and that keeps the worm burden down. 
www.valgrainger.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 04:14:00 am »
When she goes under the ewe, does her tail waggle?  That is usually a sign that a lamb is actually getting some milk.

<snip>

It will to some extent depend on which breed of sheep you have - what are yours JMB?

It must depend on breed, yes - our Texel types waggle their tails when they are sucking wool; when they are sucking my finger, my waterproofs, the wooden pen sides...  ::)  We definitely can't use a waggling tail as an indication that suckling is being successful!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS