Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 14129 times)

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 06:12:38 pm »
She's lay down to feed tonight and seemed ok with it. Can't see any swelling or anything think she's just not in the swing yet. The piglet that looked injured seems ok tonight so things seem a little better with me backing off and letting her get on with it. A few drinks for me tonight I can honestly say this has been one of the most stressful weekends of my life.
I've  also ordered a masterject and will phone to get the litter care tomorrow so I can perhaps get a priority delivery.
Hopefully the worst has passed now and I can start my new job tomorrow with a less stressed head but knowing these 2 girls something else will crop up tomorrow that worries me. In terms of iron I never answered that question, I had planned to put a sod of earth in for them but couldn't find out when is best to do this. When do others give this?

Karen again thanks so much you truly are a hero member.

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 06:31:35 pm »
you can cover her teats with mud that does the same

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2011, 06:41:59 pm »
Thanks Lillian I'll do it when they're all settled. What about the booze would you say it's ok to give her a few cans for the next few days?

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
dont give her more than yourself

HappyHippy

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2011, 06:50:42 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Oh, there's no way a KK could drink as much as me (when I get the opportunity ;))

You can put the sod of earth in anytime from now.
Goodluck for tomorrow, hope the job goes well xx

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
Thanks have to say I can neck several pints given the chance so that's hard to judge :-)) I'll just give her 2 or 3 a day for the next little while so she settles in calmly. Seems to be better again tonight so here's hoping.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2011, 08:11:04 pm »
Keeping fingers crossed for you with all your piggies and with your new job, GOOD LUCK on both counts  :hshoe:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2011, 08:15:12 pm »
Congratulations. I checked in earlier today to see how you got on, anyway only now got time to reply. Seems to have been a busy weekend - but at least they were both sensible and farrowed BEFORE you started your new job, and it is not like lambing, going on for weeks...

Hope No2 will get herself and her piglets sorted, I have got a ewe that tries to but away her lambs for a few days, so I have to hold them onto her and keep them in a pen next to her, but after a few days she starts calling for them, and then she accepts them and is one of my best ewes, never looses her lambs... but always loopy for at least a couple of days after the birth... so you get them in all kinds of animals...

All the best for your new job!!! Anke.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »
Thanks Faith I'm hoping we've turned the corner with Aggie. I'm really attached to my girls but if she can't raise a litter she'd be a very expensive pet and that's just not sensible. So here's hoping she's going to warm up to and stay warm to being a mom otherwise I might have to make a very very hard decision and frankly I'd be gutted. She's getting better so fingers crossed shes figuring it out now.
Thanks Anke seems like others have said some animals just take a little time. If she rears these successfully then next time ( maybe :-)) I'd know how to cope with her for a few days, if she doesn't then it wouldn't be right to breed her again, not fair to her or me.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2011, 08:37:03 pm »
But you must be in England (getting some beer late in the night)- in Scotland you nowadays cannot buy any alcohol in between 10pm and 10am... I suppose they did not think of desperate pig owners when drawing up this legislation...

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2011, 08:46:17 pm »
I'm in Leicestershire and frankly thank god for 24 hr garages that sells alcohol. 3 cans of Guinness later and she was calm... Mind 3 would chillax me too.  ;D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:38 pm »
I'm in Leicestershire and frankly thank god for 24 hr garages that sells alcohol. 3 cans of Guinness later and she was calm... Mind 3 would chillax me too.  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2011, 09:04:01 am »
I'm hoping we've turned the corner with Aggie. I'm really attached to my girls but if she can't raise a litter she'd be a very expensive pet and that's just not sensible. So here's hoping she's going to warm up to and stay warm to being a mom otherwise I might have to make a very very hard decision and frankly I'd be gutted.

Sounds as though she is settling, anyway, but give her a second chance before making that difficult decision.  Next time you will be forwarned.  Also she will be experienced and probably a perfect mum. 

Congratulations on the babies and the new job.  Hope all goes well.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2011, 09:13:34 am »
She seems to be doing well this morning, getting the hang of it all now. It's funny I'm at my new job(iPhone access to Internet) all I can think about is are they all ok... Feels just like when I left the kids at nursery for the first time! What a daft bat I am.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2011, 09:14:02 am »
Good luck with the piglets and job too.

I heartily agree with HM.  Definitely give her a second chance.

I had one gilt who really wasn't a very good Mum the first time and needed a lot of help....and understanding! (And large vet bills).  I was advised to give her a second chance, and I'm really glad I did.  She went on to have a litter of 12 and was a perfect Mum second time around.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS