Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats for meat  (Read 1283 times)

FahransFeathers

• Joined Jan 2022
  • South Wales
    • Facebook
Goats for meat
« on: August 15, 2023, 08:58:29 pm »
Hi can anyone give me a timeline for breeding to slaughter of goats please
looking to raise my own for meat and I've been trying to research but I'm just getting a lot of mixed answers on lots of sites.
what i need are the answers to these following things please:

Need Age/time billy goes to the does for breeding and how old the does have to be.
Gestation length
age till weaning
age that you can sell goats as pets
age that you can butcher / send goats to the abattoir (goats like boer goats for example) and what weight should you aim to get them to for tender meat.
if kept for milk how long do they stay in milk for and is it worth hand milking or getting a small machine??

thanks if you can answer these would be really appreciated!!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Goats for meat
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 12:19:43 pm »
Hi
Going to depend a bit on breed of goat.

My AN crosses .....  Does are 18 months ish  at mating (boars probably the same ) 
Gestation same as sheep ... 5 months.
Weaning generally at 5 monthsish ... though mine tend to stay with herd so wean when mother says so!
Sell as pets after weaning (ensure eating OK)
We send goats for slaughter when is suits us (usually when we are sending sheep) ....  not for commercial sale. So usually about 17-20 months.
Hand milking a couple of goats is easy ....  having to clean a milking machine 2x daily for a couple of goats will take longer than milking.  You can milk for 12-18 months if you dont put to billy. (somepeople breed every 2 years and milk through)

Question you didnt ask but needs asking ...... can you make a profit from goat rearing?  ..... VERY unlikey ....  fencing costs a fortune (fence for giraffes and worms was quote I love!)  ... out put for goat meat is quite tricky (though shouldnt be .... it is FAB) .  They need feeding all year (they dont graze grass .... it grows too long round them whilst they eat the trees and hedges!       You need to love goats to keep them ... I have sold a few as pets ... but most people keep them for a while then sell them on due to 'agro' factor.   I love them and hope to keep them for a long time yet ....  I like a challenge!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS