Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freemartins (Unsure of which section to put in)  (Read 1821 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Freemartins (Unsure of which section to put in)
« on: March 30, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »
I know that in cattle with twin heifer calves your more than likely to get a freemartin (Infertile female) if both calves were heifers. But does this occur with other species such as sheep, goats & horses ect (other species that can occasionally have twins) or is this just linked to cattle? x

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Freemartins (Unsure of which section to put in)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 03:33:46 pm »
You get a freemartin in cattle if its bull an heifer twins.  :thumbsup: not experienced it in any other species myself but there was a thread about it a while ago I'm sure :thinking:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 09:14:23 pm »
As Sbom says, in cattle the heifer calf is likely to be a freemartin if her sibling was a bull calf.  Two heifer calves are much prized amongst the dairy men.

And yes, it was discussed at some length a while back.  linky
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 01:19:00 pm »
Ah ok thank you & my bad I thought it was 2 female calves (Whoops!) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS