Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: help  (Read 2993 times)

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
help
« on: September 21, 2010, 03:37:26 pm »
My cockerel hasnt came out of house today.  I went to check on him and he is sitting in the same position as he was last night.  Both his feet and legs are sticking out and he was walking on the bit where the feathers start.  I have lifted him up and felt his legs, the dont seem to be broken.  He is chirpy enough.  What can be wrong with his legs.  Any advice would be most welcome.
Cheers Helen

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:19:38 pm »
2 other people have had a wee look, but say legs are not broken, but, like me dont know what is wrong.  Shall see what 2moro brings.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:21:09 pm »
oh bless hope he is ok,

kelloggs

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Norfolk
    • http://www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 05:42:02 pm »
Is he a young cockerel and a large breed, I had a young cockerel go down on his hocks.
 I tried everything and nothing helped, the vets couldn't explain why?????
Just told me to cull him & large vets bills. Luckly I didn't give in, just gave him time and a quiet place to rest
and although it took months he got stronger and slowly he was back on his feet.
He turned into a fantastic huge cockerel.
So give him a little time and as long as he eating ,drinking and doesn't seem to
be in pain don't give up on him.

We keep brahmas in gold, dark, lemon pyle, blue partridge, blue buff columbian, buff columbian , blue, splashes,blacks and my whites...........
Also salmon faverolles and can now offer high quality poultry saddles for your girls

www.oakwoodbrahmas.com/

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:51:50 pm »
He doesnt seem to be in pain.  He is a large bird and is still chirpy and eating and looks in the best of health.  I was just worried about his legs.  He is now out of the henhouse, came out himself, and eating and drinking.  None of the hens are annoying him or anything.  He looks the picture of health sitting there eating.  I also checked to see if he had stood on anything, but there are no thorns or cuts on his feet.  So I am at a loss to know what, if anything, is wrong.  He is a lovely big bird is our Norman.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »
could you splint them somehow, so his ankles are straight?
phone or call in at your vet (without the bird) - advice is usually free!
poor thing, hope he is ok...
Little Blue

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 06:25:30 pm »
I had a bird like this he was fine one day then off his legs the next and that continued for about a month then he passed away, no one had any explaination and I have since seen it again but mainly in orps. I am trying a new routine after they hatch to see if I can build leg strength by giving them a very large enclosure with things in they can climb and hop on to see if it is just a strength thing with there size.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »
i have a hen chick that is living in the house at the min, she had her leg broken as a baby, i put a splint on it, that has now heeled and she is building her strength up everyday, bless her, i hope its just time that norman needs to get back on his feet again  :wave:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 09:54:52 pm »
I hope he'll recover just the way it started, Helen. Ours did, but he had a swollen foot for a week and didn't want to go walking, must have trodden into a thorn or something. I take it no swelling ? :chook: :&>

BAKEWELL11

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 10:02:03 pm »
The lady who we know who keeps chickens for shows says she dangled her hen upside down by her legs when this happened to her..... think she was thinking along the lines of possible dislocation??? hen did recover after period of rest in small coop.

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 02:25:07 pm »
The cockerel, Norman, seems to be content.  I lifted him upside down, held his legs in my hands, gave a wee shake.  He wasnt distressed nor did he make a noise, but he is still down on his haunches.  He was crowing this morning.  None of the hens are bothering him, so have left him in the henhouse.  I do have another shed I could put him in, but he seems fine where he is.  A friend looked at him today and said he had the same problem with a duck, after a couple of weeks the duck was fine.  I will keep an eye on Norman, he is eating and drinking and shi-----. So as long as he is not in pain, I suppose thats all I can do.
Thanks for all the help
Helen

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 01:24:46 pm »
Yesterday morning, Sunday, when I went to let the hens out, Norman came out, on his legs, lol as if nothing had been wrong.  I kept my eye on him , but he is fine.  Today he is strutting about quite the thing.  I still dont know, if anyhing, was the matter.  Just one of these things, I suppose.  All is well now.  Thanks for all the advice.
 Cheers Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS