Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rolled oats and barley  (Read 2356 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
rolled oats and barley
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:32:15 pm »
can chucks eat these two cerales, :chook:
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: rolled oats and barley
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 09:47:34 pm »
can chucks eat these two cerales, :chook:
Rolled oats is porridge - I don't feed it raw, too dry for them, I make it into porridge with milk and honey - they love it! Yes they eat barley - this website will help.
http://www.small-farm-permaculture-and-sustainable-living.com/what_do_chickens_eat.html
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:18:31 pm »
thanks doganjo
thats a great site  :chook: :chook:
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 09:25:16 am »
Hello Langdon Not today because we live in a hovel in the village with no room at all.Chickens.We kept a couple of dozen free range A hut on wheels which was pulled from one field to another at harvest or left in the paddock at the rest of the year.They had a Eltex water bucket and a little trough in which a small amount of layers mash was placed This we felt supplied various minerals etc: Other wise they lived on the land.In the winter they were given wheat or ground barley and oats in their trough. Never bothered wetting the food they took it dry Never had any problems what so ever. 8) :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 09:32:00 am »
 :) doganjo - mine get warm porridge too, they love it!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS