Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: urgent advice on first lambing  (Read 4543 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
urgent advice on first lambing
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:38 pm »
one of our older ewes how is having triplets started having contractions about 2 hours ago she is still on her feet she is pawing the ground now and again she also has mucus at her backend should i wait until she lys down or investigate now cheers

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: urgent advice on first lambing
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 10:28:50 pm »
If she has clearly been having contractions for over 2 hours I would definitely investigate. Good luck with her.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:40 pm »
just had an investigate went in with my hand just about the depth of my hand there was nothing there just now is it a waiting game

montana

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:35 pm »
one of our older ewes how is having triplets started having contractions about 2 hours ago she is still on her feet she is pawing the ground now and again she also has mucus at her backend should i wait until she lys down or investigate now cheers
The same thing happened with our ewes waters broke the the mucus then about an hour later came the lambs

Bangbang

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 11:01:47 pm »
hopefully you should have lambs now - lambing here so sorry not to see earlier - pawing the ground is a good indication but can be soon after to quite a while - hope to see happy pics soon - Brucklay - BB's OH X

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 11:02:08 pm »
was just a bit concerned been up and checked her again she is still on her feet she is sniffing about and pawing now and again

Bangbang

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
Sounds good - she's getting ready - is she a first timer? She may just need time to get things in order - if she's older and been thinking about things from about 7.00ish this evening I would start to question too. Are you seeing a water bag yet?  Brucklay

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:08 pm »
no sign of water bag yet she is an old ewe having triplets she is not offering to lye down she is on her feet and having the occasinal contraction

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:14 pm »
I've yet to see a water bag before a birth but have seen several afterwards, mucus from the rear end is not always a sign of an imminent lambing. I had some that showed mucus but then nothing for a week or more. If it's a bit, half a teaspoonful that's different to a cupful.
You'll quickly find out each ewe is different and all the 'signs' it talks about in the books, I've rarely seen.
Annoying creatures at times sheep !  ::) :sheep:
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 01:54:54 am »
thanks for all the advice had to call the vet the ewe was struggling the lambs were all twisted thanks to our local vet mackie and brechin 3 healthy lambs were delivered  cheers

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:49:05 am »
Very glad you had a happy outcome  :thumbsup:  Well done for calling the vet in good time  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:43:21 am »
Well done - it's so difficult to make that call thinking you may just be premature good call - your the one there seeing the ewe you've obviously got a good eye  :) :) Now all you have to do is post pics of the troublesome trio
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 08:06:31 am »
What a relief!! We were thinking about you.

Pictures please.  ;D ;D ;D

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:19:33 am »
Phew!  Congratulations.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:27:49 am »
Excellent  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS