Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Manure feed??  (Read 9793 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Manure feed??
« on: June 13, 2023, 02:44:30 pm »
I am feeding my plants with a ‘nettle tea’ which is easy to make and seems to work well on quite a range of plants. This got me thinking about alternative plant food I could gather for free.
My F i Law used to gather up fresh horse poo from the road and put it in a bucket of water which I think he stirred very regularly. After about a week he scooped a cup of the ‘goo’ into the watering can and filled with water to feed his tomatoes- once a week. None of us died from food poisoning and I remember great tomatoes. Well, I haven’t got horses but have access to as much sheep poo as anyone could possibly want. Does anyone make tomato feed this way? I did research if I could make it with hen poo; also freely available, but the advice was to let the poo ‘mature’ for 12 months to kill off pathogens in hen poo first. So any ideas about using sheep poo this way? NB I am only thinking of it for tomatoes, aubergines peppers etc
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 02:51:20 pm by Ghdp »

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Manure feed??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 04:43:38 pm »
Cut grass
Comfrey
Borage
Nettles
Compost tea
Leaf litter tea.
The last two want to be aerobic, so bubble air through the tank. Others are aerobic.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 04:56:44 pm »
Our local radio gardening expert used to recommend collecting sheep droppings, putting in a Hessian sack and dunking in a water butt. I use goat manure in veg patch, as well as making a strong solution and adding it to watering can, topping up with water
But be aware that this will be higher in nitrogen than potash, which is  what you really need for fruits.
I think comfrey tea is best for fruiting plants?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 06:31:57 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 05:14:23 pm »
Thanks both.
I will experiment.
Chris, do you make grass cutting tea?  Never thought of that.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 07:59:16 pm »
Familiar with the sheep poo tea. Chap in the pub bought some for us in a thick plastic bag with the instructions of fill the bag with water, stir well and regularly and add a cup full of the fluid at the top to a watering can of water for tomatoes. It didn't kill the tomatoes and even though they were our first grown so had nothing but shop bought to compare them with they seemed to turn out well. Wish we could grow them here, but it's too hot and sunny so the skins harden and split.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 10:52:45 am »
Am looking forward to trying these ideas out. Thank you.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 11:27:30 pm »
There's a big advantage to putting your sheep droppings into a hessian sack when making sheep manure tea - there's no particulate matter to block the wateringcan can rose  :D  In fact I use sheep manure to feed the soil and the soil in turn feeds the plants. Very occasionally I might use a liquid feed to feed plants directly, especially if they are in pots.
For Tomatoes, Peppers, Chillies and Aubergines you use a nettle or animal manure feed for young plants in order to grow a strong healthy plant, then as soon as the first flower buds appear, change to a Potassium rich feed such as Comfrey tea, or Tomorite if you're buying. Nitrogen builds plants, Potassium encourages flowers and thence fruit
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 05:02:01 pm »
Thanks FW. I don’t have any comfrey ( but will address that deficit. Would banana peel soak make an acceptable alternative do you know?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 05:17:21 pm »
Thanks FW. I don’t have any comfrey ( but will address that deficit. Would banana peel soak make an acceptable alternative do you know?
Oh dear, I wondered what that gunge was in the jar, if forgotten I was trying the banana peel in water idea . LOL.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 11:56:00 pm »
I've not tried banana peel gunge, but bananas do contain Potassium.  My late aunt used to randomly fling banana skins around the garden and they did no harm  ::) .  Their usefulness perhaps depends on just how many bananas you eat each week.  As an interim measure, give it a go.
I feel guilty because I have a huge amount of Comfrey here, but I'm not in a position to send it anywhere, although if you were passing you would be most welcome to dig a couple of (enormous) plants.  (I'm in the south of Scotland, not far from the M74 if you're passing and the offer remains open)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2023, 12:48:21 pm »
Oh sorry FW. I have just seen your reply!  Thank you. If we are ever able to take you up on that we will!!

LKSF

• Joined Oct 2020
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 10:12:56 pm »
It depends where you are growing your toms, if in the ground then there are much easier ways of going about it.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 01:38:25 pm »
I grow tomatoes in single 30 cm plant pots. They seem to be responding to sheep poo tea!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with sheep.
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2023, 07:53:48 pm »
I grow tomatoes in single 30 cm plant pots. They seem to be responding to sheep poo tea!

My dad used dags and poo for his toms, a bucket bubbling away in greenhouse, flies there too, but he always gets a good crop.
No matter how crap you feel, always remember you're one of the lucky ones with your own piece of land and loony sheep!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 11:31:53 pm »
Our local radio gardening expert used to recommend collecting sheep droppings, putting in a Hessian sack and dunking in a water butt. I use goat manure in veg patch, as well as making a strong solution and adding it to watering can, topping up with water
But be aware that this will be higher in nitrogen than potash, which is  what you really need for fruits.
I think comfrey tea is best for fruiting plants?

Adding a kilo of sugar dissolved in boiling water to the stewing water barrel will after a fortnight of stirring till it turns green will provide food for all manner of essential yeasts which are very beneficial to the garden plants , the yeast will release all manner of nutrients , Add chicken muck , pig muck and cow muck & a bit of urine soaked beddings as well and you  grow hairs on a bald headed man with it .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS