Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Recent Posts

Crofting / DIY haylage
« Last post by JFW67 on Today at 09:29:17 am »
Hi all,

Anyone tried successfully to do haylage by hand in small amounts?

We have a 2 acre field planted as a woodland (four years ago) with a 3m grass margin around it.  At times I have my (small flock) of sheep graze it with an electric fence protecting the young trees.

The grass margin is good and I feel, if possible, it would be worth cutting and baling up for haylage for the sheep to have in late winter.

Given it would be a fairly un mechanised process I would aim to do it in small amounts either using a scythe or pull behind mower with my quad.  Scythe seems wiser since I can better. O troll the amount cut at any one time.

Questions:
How long should the grass be?
Is it better cut in long lengths or chopped up?
How long should it lie before packing into bags?
I have heavy grade black bin bags to put it in -  I have read both it needs very firm compression to remove air and that a vacuum will suck out enough air to work.  Any comments?

Any input appreciated
Techniques and skills / DIY haylage
« Last post by JFW67 on Today at 09:27:33 am »
Hi all,

Anyone tried successfully to do haylage by hand in small amounts?

We have a 2 acre field planted as a woodland (four years ago) with a 3m grass margin around it.  At times I have my (small flock) of sheep graze it with an electric fence protecting the young trees.

The grass margin is good and I feel, if possible, it would be worth cutting and baling up for haylage for the sheep to have in late winter.

Given it would be a fairly un mechanised process I would aim to do it in small amounts either using a scythe or pull behind mower with my quad.  Scythe seems wiser since I can better. O troll the amount cut at any one time.

Questions:
How long should the grass be?
Is it better cut in long lengths or chopped up?
How long should it lie before packing into bags?
I have heavy grade black bin bags to put it in -  I have read both it needs very firm compression to remove air and that a vacuum will suck out enough air to work.  Any comments?

Thanks for any input.
Sheep / Keeping a ewe that had mastitis separate - how long?
« Last post by JFW67 on Today at 08:49:25 am »
One of my ewes had mastitis which was treated.  She has been kept separate from the other lambs and mothers because I was told potentially bacteria could spread from her to others via lambs stealing from other ewes.

She has been separate, with her lamb and two other yearlings, for about 7 weeks now.  This is possible to maintain but makes juggling pasture space very problematic, effectively putting one field out of action.

Any suggestions/advice on returning them to the flock?
Sheep / Re: Dilemma
« Last post by Richmond on Today at 08:16:03 am »
Update: She lambed twins yesterday afternoon in the sunshine :)
Sheep / Re: Lamb illness
« Last post by KHSDoc on May 20, 2024, 10:01:18 am »
Bit late to the topic but have you considered frothy bloat as the problem? Dentenox ?simeticone colic drops in the milk helps disperse the bubbles. The stomach is less distended and the lamb a) feels hungry again and b) doesn't have a balloon pressing up against its diaphragm allowing it to breathe easier.
Announcements / New diary post: Bronte / Leeks / New pen
« Last post by TAS Bot on May 20, 2024, 09:48:40 am »
A new TAS diary entry has been posted: Bronte / Leeks / New pen
Sheep / Re: Stocking rates
« Last post by twizzel on May 19, 2024, 09:46:52 pm »
Other than electric fencing, the only other thing you could do is stock fence the field perimeter and then internal paddocks… but that would be incredibly costly. Personally I’d get some stakes and poly wire, and a decent fencer and give it a go.
« Last post by SavageU on May 19, 2024, 09:20:50 pm »
No horned. Just 2 mules with tiny stubs if anything.

If we were more remote, I’d be more tempted to do electric fencing. But we put up horse steps and had to blinking nail them down.
« Last post by Bywaters on May 19, 2024, 01:35:39 pm »
I'm not a fan of electric netting for horned sheep. Stock fencing is bad enough for some of mine

Not sure what breed you have
« Last post by shep53 on May 19, 2024, 01:26:38 pm »
As twizzel says now is the most expensive time to buy sheep and the autumn is the cheapest ,  don't know how much work you are willing to put in / can put in  or if you even have the tools but you could buy the sheep stock fence  and a few posts  ready to make a full fence in the future and use it now to make smaller areas for your sheep  , just unroll your net / nets  and pop a post in every 10 yds /mts  and staple not fully driven home ,  bingo- smaller grazing areas and the material for a permanent fence at some point

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS