Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Switching from rearing to breeding pigs  (Read 3591 times)

benthegardener

• Joined Aug 2010
Switching from rearing to breeding pigs
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »
Have raised a good number of pigs over the last few years and am wondering about whether the time has come to start breeding.

The site I have has no power, and I wonder how it'd go with no heat lamp there for piglets. All the set ups I have seen over the years, bring the pigs indoors to give birth, and have a heat lamp behind a bar to stop the piglets getting crushed.

I'm interested to know how other people get around this problem.

Also how do costs compare of keeping your own breeding sows, in comparison to buying in weaners.

Many Thanks for looking

Ben

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Switching from rearing to breeding pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 01:06:18 pm »
We have no electric either. Our sows farrow in arks because we don't have any buildings to bring them into. I have to say it would be luxury to have a barn or suchlike with electricity but we haven't so we just get on with it. Our last litter was four weeks ago so they have had some cold to deal with but are getting on fine. As for the cost of keeping breeding pigs, they eat a couple of kilos of food each a day all year round so you could work it out based on what you pay for feed where you are, plus add in any routine medicines etc, straw, housing set up and all the other bits. It ain't cheap.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 06:53:34 pm »
It takes around a tonne and a half of feed per year to keep a sow (and have her rear 2 litters to weaning) and that's on top of what you'll be feeding to the weaners/growers, as Hughesy says, it's not cheap  :-\
You'd need at least an acre split into pens to provide space for her with a litter, space for growers and resting paddocks, you might also notice more damage to your ground and be into the year round pig keeping malarky - it's hard going sometimes (more so in winter  :cold:) You'll need to factor in medications, vets bills, increase in bedding used etc etc etc Not to mention the extra time (and midnight farrowings  ::)) you'll be putting in. And don't forget to add in costs of either hiring a boar or artificial insemination too
By the time you add up all the costs you're looking at around £1000 a year to produce 2 litters (excluding your time) that's including BPA membership and pedigree costs.

But, that's all the negative stuff  ;)
Keeping & breeding pigs is the most enjoyable thing I've ever done, there's not a feeling in the world like looking down at a mum & litter snuggling in their straw and without dedicated pig nuts like us who are mad enough to take up the challenge, the native and traditional breeds in the UK might not be here in the future. Business wise, it makes no financial sense, it's probably cheaper to buy weaners to raise spring to autumn - but there are things that are more important than money IMHO.

Hope that helps a wee bit ?
Karen

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 07:24:47 pm »
Agree with everything Karen has said. You also need to factor in the purchase of your breeding stock a good sow or gilt in pig will cost you at least £250. It is good fun and sometimes heartbreaking but never dull. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
Ditto what HH & BB have said also think  :thinking:  "what am i gonna do with all those piglets, have i got a market for them"
Things are not good in the pig world at the mo and there are pigs for sale all over the place so think it thro very carefully. All the best on your descision.
Mandy :pig:

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:14 pm »
youl find it very hard to make a penny if you do it properly. even registered stock. unless you have access to free feed. whether you sell them as weaners or pork.
its a very enjoyable experience, just keep some spare dosh in  the bank.
also when you have a permanent herd, take biosecurity seriously.

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:23:03 pm »
... and having stock all year round does make taking a holiday something of a luxury! 
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 04:21:13 pm »
what's a holiday .... oh! I see what you mean  :farmer:

benthegardener

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »
I breed poultry and sheep anyway so holidays are most definitely a thing of the past. I have in the past had rolling weaners coming through, so as one lot go, the next have arrived and/or have had two batches in separately at the same time. I have a steady, still small, but growing market for the pork.

I make money on the rearing and wondered whether it made financial sense to keep buying in weaners or whether to buy in a couple of sows or gilts and go from there. I've looked at it a few times before but have never really seen how people can do it financially.

Thanks all for advice anyway

Ben

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 09:36:32 am »
Im with what everyone else has said especially about selling on the weaners/pork afterwards but the best thing I can suggest is try it once and see how it goes, you can always sell the sow if it doesnt work out

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS