Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Damaged plum tree. Is it saveable?  (Read 4331 times)

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Damaged plum tree. Is it saveable?
« on: January 02, 2022, 07:39:47 pm »
We have a very old plum tree,, which was damaged in storm arwen. Its 100 year old + and is basically shaped like a Y. The two main limbs of the Y have snapped off. Should I leave well alone or should I trim them in the hope a new shoot grows?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 07:41:25 pm by sheeponthebrain »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Damaged plum tree. Is it saveable?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 08:18:14 pm »
A pic would be very useful [member=155759]sheeponthebrain[/member] but normally best to tidy-up any breaks and/or splits (i.e. wounds) to produce clean pruning-type cuts to minimise chances of infection.   

Every chance it will produce new upper shoots I would say, but watch out for a flush of suckers from the root stock which, of course, should be removed.

(Here's a contrary tale though:  a clients plum finally died after 2-3 years of die-back.  There were suckers aplenty which I repeatedly cut back apart from just 2, just in case they were coming from a buried bit of the variety rather than the rootstock - nothing to lose and I had in mind that some folk bury a variety/rootstock grafted union below ground !  Really not sure what they were/are;  probably rootstock shoots actually, BUT they still produced some really nice-tasting plums last year !!)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 08:50:46 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 09:32:52 pm »
Arobwk has said most of it.  Yes, pollard it for now but be aware that opening up plum trees in winter exposes them to silver leaf disease.  There's not much you can do about it though as the damage has already happened.

What do you think about using wound paint to seal the damage [member=152775]arobwk[/member]?

What a shame to lose such a venerable tree.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:19:41 pm »
Well [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] that's a "very good question" (whether to dress a pruning wound or not)!
To be honest, I really don't know, BUT I have been going with the modern thinking to leave a pruning-cut to heal naturally (the majority of my pruning being at traditional/well-tried/recommended times of the year).  This being a plum (stone-fruit) though with major winter damage I would offer some other thoughts below

I would personally go for a light-touch "sealing" (right or wrong):  that would be an immediate wash of an organic anti-viral/anti-fungal solution based on readily available household products (or a wash of diluted "Citrox") to provide a temporary barrier to infection while the tree gets it's own act together. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:13:44 pm by arobwk »

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 06:09:55 am »
Will give it a tidy up tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed  there's basically only 6ft of stump left, but here's hoping

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 10:10:43 am »
We're in a similar position [member=155759]sheeponthebrain[/member] , although we do have some little branches left on the plum tree. We cut it back last year and the stumps with no branches on died back to the main trunk. Other branches have twisted and split with the weight of the plums, so the whole lot has been cut back hard.

Looking for a replacement in Spring- a Rienne-Claude Doreé (Golden). They taste delicious, if you can find one in the UK.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS