Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cess pit problems  (Read 12716 times)

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Cess pit problems
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 09:57:23 pm »
We have a 4000 gallon septic tank and it does not smell and I do have some sense of smell :) The reason it's OK is that air is forced in to it via a small 70W compressor 24/7, and this adds oxygen to the tank and so the bacteria are aerobic rather than anaerobic. The compressor lives in the garage and the air is transfered to the tank through 20mm plastic water pipe.

The other item we use is made by a company in Hampshire,  called Flexford Brook Ltd and they make a product called Liquid Bio-Flo, found it works very well.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:27:08 am »
I haven't plucked up courage to do my poo test yet, really not looking forward to it 

Robert here's a laughing smilie 

waterhouse

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:41 am »
I'm booked in for urodynamic testing next week. It doesn't sound like I'm going to enjoy it. 

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 11:51:09 am »
I haven't plucked up courage to do my poo test yet, really not looking forward to it 

Robert here's a laughing smilie 

They are very hot on poo testing over here in France. As soon as you hit 50, you get bombarded with letters telling you to get "the pack" from your GP, then you get reminders. I never did mine as I'd only recently had a colonoscopy, so didnt think it was necessary...but that's another story.
Why oh why are we so hung up about our bottoms and their functions? To be honest, Im much more embarassed about having a mammogram, as Im ashamed of and truly detest that region of my anatomy!!

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:03 pm »
I remember my mum going on about her "Farmer Giles" and the examination and op etc!!!! I don't have problems with them thankfuly but I suppose its an area associated with nasty stuff and not the nicest looking bit close up!!!!

waterhouse

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 10:57:29 pm »
I remember as a lad going in holiday with a mate and finding ourselves having lunch next to two old sears who spent the whole time comparing operations, procedures and symptoms.  We weren't impressed.

Forty years on and I understand....

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 10:40:49 am »
I don't mean to poo poo your test Waterhouse, but when you said you were going in for urodynamic testing and your name is waterhouse i just fell to bits ;D so sorry  i can't stop laughing at these posts   i least we can all laugh at our bottom problems :o

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 10:31:41 pm »
 ;D ;D

waterhouse

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 11:43:10 pm »
Actually the whole family think it's funny, trying not to be seen sniggering while speculating what the test entails. Or should that be entrails.

waterhouse

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 11:39:24 pm »
Well it wasn't much fun - hard to be more undignified and less pleasant while staying within the geneva convention.  However we are somewhat amused by our neighbour's builders.

They're a having an extension built with a new super bathroom.  Building control have required them to link to the main drain via a different route to previously. So they followed the line of the drain from the manhole cover further up their garden coming out of our property and dug deep down to the sewer.  About twenty feet deep.  Big hole.  Trouble is it ain't the sewer, it's a Victorian drain leading to one of the 5 or 6 cess pits we've found so far in our fields each of which is about 80ft deep.  Their sewer is a pipe only 6" underground put in by a cowboy builder 20 years ago which we always have to remember not to plough up.

Apparently sewers need a 1 in 4 fall.  Theirs is probably 1 in 20 so I suspect a lot more digging may be necessary.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:32 pm »
1 in 40 is the fall for s**t pipe.

More gradient does not mean its better as the piss and water flows over the turds and paper and wont wash them down the pipe - 1-40 gives the old souls a good glide down the water chute :)

Baz

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2011, 10:06:05 pm »
What a romantic way with words!!
bazzais

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »
I don't mean to poo poo your test Waterhouse, but when you said you were going in for urodynamic testing and your name is waterhouse i just fell to bits ;D so sorry  i can't stop laughing at these posts   i least we can all laugh at our bottom problems :o

PML
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2011, 01:10:19 am »
PML?

The problem with their sewer is it's shallowness. It crosses 80m of our fields and freezes inside in winter

The 1 in 4 requirement was the fall from the house to the start of the existing sewer.

My sense of humour returns: I was asked to arrive for my appointment with my bladder "comfortably full". That's a challenge in itself but the consultant was running 30mins late, so comfortable didn't describe it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2011, 08:19:53 am »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS