Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 12v sheep shears wanted  (Read 3656 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
12v sheep shears wanted
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:18 pm »
Can anyone tell me if there is a reasonably priced set of shears which work off car battery? I have Lister Laser clippers with shear head but they are too big so going to sell them.  I can only find 2 makes and they are expensive for the small flock I have.

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
Re: 12v sheep shears wanted
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:35 am »
i have a set of horner longhorn clipping machine, run off car battery you could try ebay for a set of those, they are at least 10 years old and work pretty well
link to the product on their website, they do servicing and repairs too.

http://www.hornershearing.com/acatalog/longhorn-complete.html
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

rmorris

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Perthshire
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 05:38:58 pm »
Hi, 

I am wondering what you mean by "toobig"? Is it the hand piece or the motor? I world have thought the size of the hand piece is pretty standard.

I have an old 12v euroclip motor and old lister hand piece (for a sensible offer!) if you are interested but fear you will have the same size problem.

Regards, Richard.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 10:50:30 am »
Hi Richard, unfortunately I have pint size hands so the Lister horse clipper handpiece is about the diameter of a tin of beans which makes holding it for any length difficult.  The dedicated sheep shears tend to be slimmer so I can grip better (more like slim deodrant bottle!).  That's what I need.

If I had portable power it wouldn't be a problem. Perhaps I need to look at a small generator instead and get cheap mains ones.  I don't however know what power generator is required to drive the motor effectively. Any advice appreciated.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 11:41:07 am »
Masterclip do a good range.  I have their heavy duty horse clippers and the hand piece is of a very comfortable diameter for small hands - and not too heavy either.  They also have a good range of sheep and cattle clippers at reasonable prices.  http://www.masterclip.co.uk

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »
My 2.2 Kw generator runs my horner 240v clippers easily
HTH
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS