Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Auction buys  (Read 4820 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Auction buys
« on: May 27, 2013, 05:35:21 pm »
Has anyone else gone to an auction and come home with something they really didn't need or want. I came home from Lanark pig and poultry sale with 2 zebra finches.  ;D
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Auction buys
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:50:15 pm »
Ha, it could have been a lot worse - and bigger  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:05:41 pm »
When we moved to the moorland farm, my biz partner accidentally (waving to someone she knew ::)) bought a beat up old bale sled for £15.  Y'know what?  Turned out to be an absolute bargain - we used it several years when we had the chance to make some small bale hay  :D

The first time I was bidding at an auction, I got myself positioned right at the front by the lot I was interested in - several sheets of heavy-duty weldmesh.  The lot immediately beforehand was about 1T of granite blocks.  No-one was bidding on the blocks; the auctioneer 'picked' a bid up out of fresh air - right where I was standing!  I was shaking my head and looking meaningfully at him, thinking, "Oh no!  How'll I tell BH we've got to take 1 tonne of blocks away with us..."  :o  Of course, he was just stimulating some interest, and I wasn't on the hook for too long. :relief:

And yes, he let me have the weldmesh for a steal  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:32:01 pm »
I'm too scared to go to an auction (although I really want to go to one) partly as I don't know what to do but also as I'd come home with all sorts of critters I hadn't intended.

I almost left the vets with an extra cat the other day!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:43 pm »

Oh, now that I do do! :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 09:32:05 pm »

How did you manage that?

Auctions are quite safe to go to. As long as you keep both hands in your pockets and you head motionless.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 09:48:39 pm »
When we were back in the UK I used to buy at Penistone market( I think its closed as an auction now) It was great fun...They already only did poultry eggs, and bunnies no longer any four legged stock. They also auctioned off other stuff that was brought in. The plant section was a good source for the garden and my OH picked up some bits at the all sorts section. We got a load of DVD boxes that no one had bid on added to the pile of plywood that he wanted.
Not found any sort of livestock market over here...People tend to buy direct from the seller via a newspaper add and phone call....they are not good at mentioning the price in the add so you have to ask and my german isn't up to involved questions on the phone

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:00:59 pm »
Wet to Lanark market many years ago and my friend was interested in the first lot which was a pen of four ducks so he bid and won only to find out that the auctioneer had put in four jars of honey just before the ducks no wonder the price was cheep and he loathed honey. Funniest thing, he got some ribbing in the pub that night.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 02:05:11 pm »
has anyone bought property via auction?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:00 pm »
My definition of an auction: 'Sitting around watching people I don't know buying stuff I don't want'. Yawn.

I never go to them nowadays. When I did bother with them I'd time it so I'd get there when the item I wanted was about to go under the hammer. Then leave.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:04 am »
I love auctions but don't go to any now cos I'm dangerous when I do  ;D

Been at farm roups for a wee look or to see if there's a livestock trailer or something I might need, and ended up with trays of plant pots or electric fencing or hand tools...

Thainstone I went to see the Highland ponies in the autumn Shetland sale, shouldn't have gone in the lorry I had at that time but did so "just in case" and brought home a yearling filly for myself and a shetland or two for someone I knew locally who was even worse than me and bought without having transport arranged!

Even ebay is dangerous for me, tho I succumb occasionally..  I hate shops with a vengeance, but there's something about an auction that makes my head twitch, or my hand get loose and lift itself up..  I blame my mother, she let me go to local furniture/household goods auction when I was a teenager and buy her an old folding table for £1 and that was me hooked!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 09:51:12 am »
i get an incredible buzz from auctions, even ebay. though i hate actually shopping in real shops.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 03:56:57 pm »
Most years I go to the Welsh cob auction at Builth Wells in october. When the bidding goes up to silly money, Tina Turners "Simply the Best" starts playing over the tannoy! I think the record price last autumn was for a Section D Thorneyside bred stallion that sold for over £20,000. I'm pretty sure the guy who bought it was pissed.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »
I buy all my cars at Measham auctions, get great bargains when the cars are 6 months old :)

And dont talk to me about Ebay!! Im gonna go broke!!!

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:37:20 am »

How did you manage that?

Auctions are quite safe to go to. As long as you keep both hands in your pockets and you head motionless.

I only popped in to get some antibiotics for my poorly gosling. The cat was in a cage on the side and I admired her. The reception leapt on this as they are looking for a home for her. I had to think very hard of the 5 cats we already have not to leave with her!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS