Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How Much to Charge for Grass Livery - plus any advice on running one!  (Read 9935 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Re: How Much to Charge for Grass Livery - plus any advice on running one!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:47 pm »

Poo picking is done to keep down the worm burden and also to prevent the field becoming "horse sick", putting it in a corner would be ok although that corner will attract flies so keep it away from your house. When it has rotted down it will make excellant manure for your garden.
Personally I would not get involved in their hay supply or storage in case anything goes wrong. It is usually the landlords responsibility to ensure that the fences are suitable so be very carefull there horse owners are a major pain in the ass ( I know I am one and nothing is too good for my babies)
Anne

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:39 pm »
If you are away from home, and not able to attend hens every day, then thats not a good idea to have them, unless you find someone to feed them for you.  In all my stuff from DEFRA, it does say that all livestock must be fed every day, and personally hens need feeding twice a day if penned up. Something could happen, their water or feed may become contaminated, or the hens themselves could have an injury or get stuck - I know from experience the things hens can do!!

Is the land flat - could you have tents or caravans on?  The caravan club quite often have rallies, bringing only 5 caravans.  All self contained, no loos or anything required, just a water supply maybe.  That would bring some money in.  We often get asked by dog clubs, wanting to do agility etc. and they want a small area of land, and will pay, as will model aeroplane clubs etc.  just thinking these things would be easeir than hens, horses etc.,

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 06:35:57 pm »

Caravan club have what they call CL sites which take up to about 7 caravans and need no toilet facilities or elec. I think that all they need to have is a water supply, they may also need a sewage disposal but I am not too sure about that.
Anne

TigilyC

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 01:41:56 pm »
Do they have them in Ireland too? The only caravan clubs I know of here are the itinerant travelling community!  :)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 03:00:38 pm »

Yes they do have sites in Ireland if you look on their web site you will get more info www.caravanclub.co.uk. good luck  :hshoe:
Anne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS