Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new barn  (Read 6192 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: new barn
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »
hi lill/ Robert? a contractor has done all the ground work, we just don't have the access to machinery to do that but OH and his helpers are fixing on the roof to save some money.
They are using Tek screws supplied by the roofing company these self tighten i believe ???  but i'm a girl so a bit ignorant on those sorts of things, but he did say something about pre- dilling the sheets first with the bolts supplied, so i think that means they self drill. OH is currently fast asleep on the sofa in front of fire, sensible man, so i will find out a bit more when Sleeping Beauty awakens :innocent:

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
Any pics of the finished barn?

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 03:45:04 pm »
yes would be good

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 01:19:07 pm »
Hi Guys will update you soon, weather has been awful and we have been away for a short break before the fun of lambing starts, so i will try to get pics this weekend. TROUBLE IS IT'S SO DARK IN THE EVENING AAARHH  I can't even get some after work cause it's black as your hat :(
The covered yard is done and partially boarded down the side too and they are now starting on the big barn.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2012, 09:05:53 pm »
found the camera and took some more pictures, sheep are in now, first lambs due around 4 th December

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 09:23:30 pm »
Hubby works as AI man for a dairy so we are rearing some nice Swedish red x holstein

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 09:44:35 pm »
I am well impressed.   :thumbsup:

YoungRasher

• Joined Aug 2012
  • DERBYSHIRE
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 10:06:43 pm »
great barn. I can't wait till ours is done.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 05:03:20 pm »
Wow - it looks fantastic and being put to such tremendous great use.  If only it was as easy explaining your ideas to planners in the start and get rid of all that planning headache and hereso. 

Seems like the planners now like to block almost every avenue for great ideas and smallholding/small farm expansion, especially for those of us who are not 'huge' commercial outfits  - its because of their paranioa of people converting barns after or livestock housing disturbing non farming rich neighbours who like to visit their quaint little farmhouse in the summer months. ;)

What nice barn - bet its going to make a real differnece. 

Guess your problems with planning started when you mentioned honestly what you were going to do with it - seems easier to build a hay barn than a lifestock barn - although they do always mingle in the end ;)

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2012, 07:20:12 pm »
The barn looks fantastic  :thumbsup: just in time for this winter weather  ;D

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2012, 08:59:51 pm »

I have serious Barn envy.  :D  Planning would not let us build a barn and was only allowed to build wooden stables, not much chance of converting them but it is still so much better than keeping the horses 9 miles away as they were before.
Anne

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:41 am »
Wow! 

Today we put our ewes to (Foobar's) ram... just as yours start to lamb  :D
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS