Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice from a dog expert please  (Read 8139 times)

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Advice from a dog expert please
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 08:46:44 am »
I wouldn't five him the chance of doing it. Stick him on lead and whip him out and praise loads when he has peed outisde.

But it's not the need for a pee that makes them do it. It's insecurity that prompts them to mark their territory. "This is my place,now everyone know that I belong here" I'm not a dog behaviourist by any means( and that may be your best bet) but having dogs in numbers for more than forty years has given me a small insight into how they think and react  and they think like dogs, not humans. Poor old chap, I hope you can sort him out :dog:

I understand that but it could well break that cycle if he isn't given the opportunity to actually do it. I agree it is about insecurities but breaking the cycle and giving him a positive experience first thing in the morning will give him the confidence he needs.

I'm a bit behind you in that i have only had ogs for 20 years though.

Helen

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:11:32 am »
I said right at the beginning that this was likely to be an insecurity problem. But the first  issue is to try to break the cycle as Helen says. Then you can start to address his other issues which might turn out to be many. Curing insecurity (or at least helping him to gain confidence) can be more about helping him to know his place. More on this later or my post will be too long.

Dogs do pee when they are exited, but they don't usually cock their leg, they squat.

Also I wan't to underline what ITH says about not getting emotional if he makes a mistake. This would only add to his confusion. Here is a thought!  are you calm when you enter the room in a morning or is there exitement on greeting the dogs? Does JR get exited when he greets you too? If so it would be better to ignore them both until they have been out and save the happy greetings until later.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:52:11 pm by omnipeasant »

Liz M

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 11:21:56 am »
I just wanted to say after reading back on this post of over a year........................... It was the JR not the mongrel who was peeing. Ha ha he was a clever dog, but I caught him one day. It was a territory thing... new dog on his patch.  All sorted now. Got a 3rd dog, but this time a lady, so they both behave!!!! :love:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 12:16:59 pm »
We had a Patterdale that did that all the time too, always little pees that you could not really notice but you could smell, we spent a fortune on cleaning products and plastic matting etc, sadly he ran out in front of a car...but I would think its just the same as marking trees and stating territory, he is trying to establish his authority but other than crate him and take him out, I suspect he will continue for a while longer. I think its more common when you have more than one dog and bring another into the fold, we have females now and they are good!! Hope you get him sorted out!!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 02:04:17 pm »

(I wish Dogandjo would come back, if only for this problem. PM me, Annie with more advice if you read this and I'll pass it on.xx)

[/quote]

Dogandjo was on earlier, in a wood discussing a snake!!!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »
Good, did not notice how long ago the post was, we had a Lab and an Alsatian, the Lab used to wake us up barking but then pee in the Alsatian's bed......but we soon caught her in the act, they can be crafty at times. We bought a lovely green Ikea rug, and it stunk so had to be thrown away, the Patterdale must have thought it was grass! :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 05:06:23 pm »

(I wish Dogandjo would come back, if only for this problem. PM me, Annie with more advice if you read this and I'll pass it on.xx)

Dogandjo was on earlier, in a wood discussing a snake!!!
[/quote]

I haven't gone anywhere except physically - I was at a meeting all day!  :innocent:  Anyway - there were 20 replies fro#m other 'dog experts' so you don't really need me.  :innocent:  It's a boy thing and it looks like Liz solved her own problem last year.  :relief:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »
I haven't gone anywhere except physically
  :innocent: , go away from the interweb for a few mins and see how people get worried.....just like when we had children that followed us to the toilet!! :roflanim: :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:32 pm »
.just like when we had children that followed us to the toilet!!
  and now  it's dogs  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 11:52:40 pm »
.just like when we had children that followed us to the toilet!!
  and now  it's dogs  :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Glad to hear it's not just mine that does it - he has to sit on the bath mat while I'm having a shower too  ::)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:30 am »
Not just dogs, my cat (oriental) often gets worried when I go to the bathroom and she can't find me!

Helen

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2013, 08:22:43 am »
I had to climb up a bank while out on a walk and my dogs got so worried as I found it easier to crawl up, they came and locked my face making it even harder to get up.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS