Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey  (Read 1269 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Turkey
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:22:54 am »
Quick question      we've seen some Norfolk black/bronze 10 week old poults for sale....will they be likely to finish in time for xmas...not had them before...thanks in advance :sunshine:

Victorian Farmer

Re: Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:42:29 am »
depends if you give them light and warmth to keep them eating .

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
Hi Padge,

i would leave them.

They are going to be around 17 weeks by Christmas.

Bronze turkeys don't usually start putting on fat much before 22 weeks and they will still be quite light weight and lanky at 17 weeks so they are going to be lean and dry.

Those ones look to have been hatched at the end of August so I wouldn't be expecting them to reach a good killing weight much before February.

i'd say a mid July hatch would be the very latest date to rear bronze turkey for Christmas.

I've just killed some this weekend which were hatched at the start of June (23 weeks) hens were 14-16lb live weight, Stags 26-28lb

I have some hatched mid July which are now 17 weeks but they are too skinny looking to eat yet.

They will be 23 weeks by Christmas so should just be about spot on for killing.

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 07:45:40 am »
Thanks Clansman....we took them anyway  and are happy to keep until they're ready :thumbsup:   just to try and see how we go really...we'd have liked to keep them year round as someone else on here does   Hermit I think ??? .....will bring update when they're ready :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS