Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting me some piggers!  (Read 11368 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Re: getting me some piggers!
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 04:45:42 pm »
OK....so you can feed goats milk to pigs but not yoghurt....explain someone please....If it comes from the local dairy but has not been in the kitchen whats the problem?
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 04:48:39 pm »
Yes David you are quite correct, we are passionate about our pigs and all the other animals we have, BB i know there is no such thing as the micro pig crap I just was'nt wanting to start an argument. There is only 2 types of small pigs, they are either Kune Kune or pot bellied pigs, you know that they breed from the runts of the litters, don't get the proper feed to make them grow, it is just the same as starving a child, no proper nutrition no proper growth. MICRO PIGS DO NOT EXSIST JENNAPIGGY SORRY!!!
Dairy products come from cows jennapiggy and if you are not producing dairy products yourself, it is illegal to give your pigs by products of an other animal. Recently on this forum there has been so much dis information regarding pigs and feeding and no one is prepared to condem these irresponsible posters, there has been enough said over the passage of time about what can and can;t be fed to pigs and I really think some people just come on to antaganise posters on this forum.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 06:27:08 pm »
Crikey.....don't usually go on the pig bit of this forum.....and will go back to the sheep and stay there! I know you cannot feed 'animal waste' to pigs because it might contain meat by products....however cannot see how that applies to spare yoghurt from local dairy nor antibiotic milk from farm up the road....And I am not asking just to have my head bitten off :tired: Can someone point me to the right legislation please!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 06:31:38 pm »
The way I read the rules is you are allowed to feed milk straight from the goat (cow) as long as the goat (cow) is on the same holding.

Which for me is a bit of a bugger as my goats are less than 1/4 mile away from my pigs but the parcels of land have different holding numbers ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:40 pm »
Well since they are both your holdingd Don I wouldn't worry!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 08:34:02 pm »
 :D :D :D :D

I consider myself to be an intelligent woman, but I'm buggered if I can fathom the pig feeding regulations! If you look at my tesco thread, then try and decipher the milk guidlines my ideas of lovely bread and milk for my pigs is suddenly a huge can o worms :roflanim:

Today I have been worrying cos the little dears didn't seem keen on their breakfast. didn't want to come out for their tea either :o :o :o

Turns out I had to fetch their trough to them in the sty so they could stuff their faces wivvout the nassy wain getting dem wets. :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Divas! :love: :love:

It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2012, 09:08:48 pm »
This is a useful article regarding pig-keeping (feeding is about half-way down the page)     http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/?Display=1153
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "MICR*-PIG" - it is not a recognised breed, but a generic term used to describe off-spring of various mixes, that may include Kune Kune, Pot-bellied or Meisham - many produced by repetitive breeding of runt to runt.  All piglets are small when born, no-one can guarantee any "micr*-piglet" will remain small - by the time it reaches maturity at 2 years of age, if it has been reared with correct welfare & care, it will grow to the size it's DNA dictates - often resulting in a pig larger than the recognised pure-breeds above.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2012, 02:24:54 pm »
Many Tanks Beewyched.....The table of permitted feeds from the pig site confirms my thoughts that you CAN feed milk and other dairy products so long as they do not come from catering establishments. So folks go and look at this table. This is why bread from bakers, milk from dairies and veg from greengrocers etc CAN be fed to pigs....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2012, 02:29:29 pm »
Hang on a minute!!!!

That chart is written in plain English :o :o  are you sure it's official?? :innocent: :innocent:

Fab info, thank you very much :thumbsup:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:49 pm »
The date on that seems to be 2004, is it possible rules have changed since? Hope not though  :fc:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »
Please go on the defra site and type in a guide for pig keepers 2011. If you read this it may prevent some posters from having their foot in their mouth. It is very clear and is also written in plain English, with the provision "if in doubt don't feed it", this guide cannot make it anymore clearer than what it is unless you produce the milk or milk product on YOUR premises you CAN'T feed it, unless you get a licence to do so, forget the pig site and read the current legislation, in the interests of all pig keepers.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »
OK LLIL.....are you a DEFRA paid worker....please relax.....! :thumbsup:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2012, 03:16:42 pm »
Quote from 2011 DEFRA website:

See....you CAN feed milk to pigs....just takes a phone call, thats all. AND you can feed other waste food....see below!

There are however a small number of exceptions
[/color]to this, and the following materials may be fed to pigs:
[/color]• Liquid milk or colostrum may be fed to pigs kept on the same holding as that on which the
[/color]milk or colostrum originated;
[/color]Former foodstuffs other than catering waste food from kitchens etc (see above) containing
[/color]rennet, melted fat, milk or eggs but where these materials are not the main ingredient;
• Fishmeal, (animal derived) di-or tri-calcium phosphate, or blood products if suitably[/font]
[/color]processed (see TSE Regulations internet link below); and
[/color]• Milk, milk products and white water when suitably treated.Please note that anyone obtaining waste milk, milk products or white water to feed to their pigswould need to register with Defra for this purpose, although, in the case of milk products, thiswould only be necessary it they contained more than 80% milk. Details on how to register areavailable from either the Defra helpline (08459 33 55 77) or the internet
(www.defra.gov.uk/food-farm/byproducts)[/font]
[/color]It is permissible to source certain types of former foodstuffs (see above), as well as fruit and
[/color]vegetables, from non-catering premises for feeding to pigs, but this must only be done from
[/color]those premises that either do not handle materials banned from being fed to pigs, or that have
[/color](HACCP) procedures in place to ensure complete separation from prohibited materials, and
[/color]these procedures have been agreed with the local authority.
[/color]If you are uncertain about what can and cannot be fed to your pigs please contact your local
[/color]AHVLA Regional Office for further advice. A list of these offices is available on the internet
[/color](http://animalhealth.defra.gov.uk/about/contact-us/index.htm)
[/color]If in doubt don't feed it.

www.valgrainger.co.uk

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:49 pm »
WV, no not defra worker, they can't even sort out some easy questions for me and i have to do the research myself, i am just very concerned that some on this forum are ignoring the rules when it comes to feeding pigs with animal by products. The rules are there for a reason and we all have to keep to the rules, if there was another outbreak of f&m because someone decided to disregard the legislation and my animals had to be destroyed because of the rule bender, i personally would got out my way to make that person's life pure hell, some folk always think "it's not going to happen to me"  :rant: Rant over.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2012, 03:24:03 pm »
 :hug: I quite understand!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS