Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Does anyone feed heygates?  (Read 2586 times)

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
Does anyone feed heygates?
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:22:29 pm »
Hi
I'm just looking for some reviews of heygates flock master ewe nuts and there premium 20% nut. I looking to change to this make for lambing but Ive ever used it before. Is it good quality?

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Re: Does anyone feed heygates?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 02:21:23 pm »
For most of the year I use Hegates Hogget nuts as these can be fed to males as well as females. I use these to train the sheep to pen themselves and for fattening and finishing the castrates if they need it. For feeding to ewes before and after lambing I use Flockmaster 18 Nuts. Both of these feeds are of good quality and are gobbled up fast.

My sheep are Castlemilk Moorits and Cotswolds. The premium 20% nuts are for 'top performing flocks'. These may be good for high input, high output flocks but I am not certain they would suit my more slow growing breeds. What breed(s) do you keep and why do you want the higher protein feed?

Regards, Dave 

GlebeFieldFarm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »
I have Southdowns and a mixture of mules. They have scanned very well this year and mostly are carrying twins or triplets. So just wanted to make sure they get everything they need. Usually I use BOCM (for farmers) but heygates have given me a better price just wondering if the feed wasn't as good.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:16:01 pm »
If your Southdowns are in good condition on good grazing and will be lambing at two or more years of age (so are fully grown themselves) I doubt they'll need 20% protein.  I feed mine whatever 18% protein nut is cheapest - it's generally either HJ Lea Oakes or For Farmers. 

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:35:52 pm »
I have cross bred ewes and use a Poll Dorset ram and have used heygates 18% ewe nut with no problems. Usually produce twins, I don't scan, feed 6 weeks before and 2 weeks after lambing. Lambs always arrive a good size and ewes milk well  :wave: :sheep:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 09:59:46 am »
Ask for the ingredients list of both the BOCM and Heygates, together with the mineral analysis, and compare them!  If you aren't sure what you are looking for, post them on here and we will tell you which is better :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS