Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help - needed for tomorrow  (Read 2124 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Help - needed for tomorrow
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:07 pm »
Help - I need to pick up a friend at Waverley station tomorrow evening.  Does anyone know the best way to get there to avoid all the shenanigans of the tram uproar and the festival?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: Help - needed for tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:49:51 pm »
Hi Annie
I was down that way on Thursday and I went along Queen st to the roundabout at the top of Leith walk then opposite john lewis took a left onto Calton Hill and bear right onto Calton Rd.That takes you under the worst of the traffic and then right under the railway bridge and there is a fairly new NCP multi storey called Waverley which is just a few mins walk to the train station.
I tried to copy a google map, but my IT skills are not up to it.
I found that even late afternoon this route wasn't too bad and avoided princes st. I had to do it a few times ferrying people about in the festival.
Kirsty
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 11:18:04 am »
Yes, but how do I get to Queen street avoiding all the roadworks and closed roads?  I'll be leaving around 6.30 pm so will have a look on here again later.  I don't know Edinburgh at all, but I've been told to take the M8 right in from here (Clacks) and at Hermiston take the A71 and go right to the end of Gorgie Road.  Not sure about the rest from there.  If I can stop every now and then I can ask, but with the festival on I'm BOUND to ask a  non-local ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:24:48 am »
if I was you.......i'd ask the person you are picking up to get on a train at waverly and head out to Edinburgh park or the gyle. They are very regular and will save you about 20 minutes getting into the town and another 20 getting out.

failing that.......get the person you are meeting to meet you outside the station on market street (just outside the Tattoo office and next to the Edinburgh Art centre)

if you take the M8 to hermiston gate follow directions for city centre - A71, that road is a dual carriageway, go straight over teh 3 roundabouts, follow that road and you'll pass an HSS hire shop on your right, move into the left hand lane then

at the traffic lights, go left and at the roundabout go right (2nd exit) follow that road all the way - it will take you to the western approach road which you can follow all the way until it ends on a t junction on Lothian road.

turn right and then 1st left at the next lights and follow that road down to the grassmarket, through the cowgate and then turn left after the travel lodge. Go up the hill, straight across the royal mile and follow the road round to the left - and you are on market street

seriously, get your pal to jump on a train to Edinburgh park!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:27:50 am »
Brilliant, Chris, Thanks.  I can't ask her to do any more than she is doing - she is bringing her new Champion Brittany to mate my bitch - so she'll have Vinnie on a lead, a cage and her suitcase.  If I get to Market Street I'll find a spot and wait till she phones me then go down the ramp to the pick up point.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS