Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More Basic Questions  (Read 8282 times)

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
Re: More Basic Questions
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 08:30:38 am »
1:1 mix but I guess that depends on what soil and manure mix you have. My thinking is to max water retention of the mound- large wheelbarrow load dumped on bare lightly dug soil will do it. I'll plant in a depression but the mature  plant will take up moisture from roots thrown off the long leaders. initially the exposed mound gets sun and thus heat near the roots - gets the plant going. Not bothered if grass covers it after that as it can help retain water compared to exposed soil. I do the same with courgettes and butternut. - All pig food  :pig:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
.......how big do you build the mound up,do you leave a hollow in the top for watering.What sort of proportion of manure do you add to the soil........

We have horses and plant our pumpkins, courgettes, squash, straight into the muckheap. We have two piles of muck; last years and this years - the young plants get planted onto 'last years'. We mark the plant with a tall stick so we know where to water, and that's all we do until it's time to harvest them. We get a huge crop and it's great fun following the trails and finding yet another Butternut Squash, or pumpkin, then another, then another....

.............. :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: ..............

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:42 am »
We have horses and plant our pumpkins, courgettes, squash, straight into the muckheap. We have two piles of muck; last years and this years - the young plants get planted onto 'last years'. We mark the plant with a tall stick so we know where to water, and that's all we do until it's time to harvest them. We get a huge crop and it's great fun following the trails and finding yet another Butternut Squash, or pumpkin, then another, then another....

.............. :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: :squash: ..............
We do the same with our winter pig poo heaps, one from last winter matured and ready for planting up and this winters to stir up and leave to rot too. get some lovely pumpkins!
mandy :pig:

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 01:31:41 pm »
Hi,very interesting.I take it now is the time to plant them.Do you germinate them in pots or plant the seed straight in the heep.

Thanks Graham.
Graham.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 08:35:45 am »
Not sure how far north you are but maybe start the seeds on a window sill and plant out in a couple of weeks. Or if your heap is in full sun and you can make a clear plastic tent or some glass over it's top then plant a seed and remove the "cold protection when the nights warm up.
OhLaLa describes the fun of finding pumpkins and other squash so well.
Look what I grew (second from the left) - just joking

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS