Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: whats going on?......  (Read 5553 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
whats going on?......
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:43:25 am »
I noticed today that my daffodil bulbs are coming through  ???

While I'm not going to grumble about the mild weather we're having I have a feeling we're going to pay for it!! Either floods or blizzards this winter.
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: whats going on?......
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 10:22:29 am »
I've heard we are supposed to get slammed by snow

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 10:47:12 am »
Crab apples and roses in flower in the garden where I work ???

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:00:57 pm »
I want to cut my grass , it's grown so much in the past month
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 12:14:59 pm »
not that I am complaining.....still some decent grazing for the sheep & goats and I've still got some tatties to lift!

Just waiting for the midgies to arrive back again  :o
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 05:03:52 pm »
I've had to cut both back & front lawns this week.
 I had intended to use the de-thatcher to clean them out but the cut had to come first as they were getting on for 4 inches tall. Perhasp this coming week instead .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »
I noticed today that my daffodil bulbs are coming through  ???

While I'm not going to grumble about the mild weather we're having I have a feeling we're going to pay for it!! Either floods or blizzards this winter.
That can happen, bulbs are tricked by the good weather,  That happened to the bulbs which were in the garden, but they were OK just a bit slow growing the next year. That is the problem having good weather in Nov.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 08:03:48 pm »
I want to cut my grass, it's grown so much in the past month
I agree.  If it would only stay dry long enough, I'd cut ours too.
Looking at the forecast - this could be the week providing it doesn't get too cold.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 12:40:46 am »
ha ha as I thought I spoke to soon.......we've just had a weather warning for snow on Thursday and Friday   :cold:

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:54:45 pm »
We have crocus too popping through the earth.  Granted...they are in pots and so they will always come through earlier but 1st Dec is a bit too early.

AnnS

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 08:17:14 pm »
Still got geraniums in bloom also pampas grass has flowered or whatever it does.

AnnS

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 08:44:07 am »
I have raspberries in fruit and flowering!!?? Still seeing butterflies too. Very odd.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:23 am »
so how will this affect next years crops etc?
will they just stay dormant if we get a cold blast (like we are this week) and continue their growth cycle in Spring?

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »
The crops should be okay.
Hopefully we will get some frost and that should give them enough of a shock to stop growing.
For the likes of rasps/strawberries etc - you could always cut off the flowers as the plant will be using up energy to produce a flower and then a fruit if its pollinated.
Even last winter which was very mild things did keep growing (albeit very slowly) but everything was fine.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 03:29:33 pm »
I want to cut my grass, it's grown so much in the past month
I agree.  If it would only stay dry long enough, I'd cut ours too.
Looking at the forecast - this could be the week providing it doesn't get too cold.
So I had today off (using up holidays) and so I bit the bullet and got the mower out.
Took a little off the top of the grass and it also chopped up all the oak leaves that had fallen this week.
It looks a lot better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS