Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I have grown something...!!!! really!!! honestly!!!  (Read 4324 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
I have grown something...!!!! really!!! honestly!!!
« on: July 12, 2015, 09:44:55 am »
After 6 years I finally have a veg patch!!  Every year up to now something else has been more pressing but now, I am starting to grow things... real things!

I have made tons of mistakes and I think some things are now in too late to come to fruition but for today at least...

I have grown something!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:47:30 am by Kitchen Cottage »

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: I have grown something...!!!! really!!! honestly!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 09:50:55 am »
Well done you. I remember my first gardening year, it was quite good and there is nothing like growing your own veg  :yum: I  must admit am a little envious because my garden is really slow due to inconsistent weather, what's the weather like where you live?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 10:10:57 am »
Well done. Everything here (N.E. Wales)  seems very slow appart from thistles, nettles and goosegrass.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 10:41:40 am »
In my first year (this year) I have so far harvested radishes,  some chard to use in salad and today I found a raspberry, daughter has had about 7 strawberries off of 8 plants...

But there is a lot of promise in the plot, first potatoes should be ready next weekend, leeks look amazing, parsnips going well, beans are worrying me not doing well at all.

Greenhouse is a right off to be tried again next year...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 10:48:17 am »
What a beautiful basket of your first produce  :garden: :hungry:

I have been growing stuff since I was about 4 and I've never stopped feeling that excitement and pride.  One day you'll be able to eat a meal made up of home grown everything  :thumbsup:

Every year some stuff fails, so be it - there will be lots of alternatives.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 11:23:25 am »
The weather has been great... but the ground isn't.  It had pigs and horses on it and I assumed it would be lush BUT builder also hid about 10 tonnes of rubble and foundation clay in it, despite being paid for skips.... and last year and the start of this year I spent digging out and taking to the dump (they only allow 4 bags per month so there has been a LOT of sneaking around!!!)

I tried to grow on that plot before but each time I dug I would come up with rubble.... I still do a little but it is more manageable and I have beds.  There are some piccies here
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/kitchencottage/media/allotment7_zpsbcigkbix.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 11:25:36 am by Kitchen Cottage »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 04:45:41 pm »
Well done. My broad beans will be ready from another 5 days as will peas (mange tout already). Spuds and onions now.

This latest bursts of cooler weather and rain means spuds at risk of blight (sign up to blightwatch - free) so mine going to get sprayed with DIY bordeaux.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:48 pm »
Well done KC, you won't look back!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 11:59:58 pm »
KC, there's nothing like eating your own home-grown, freshly-picked produce. I still find it exciting after many years of growing. Your garden looks much further on that mine. My courgettes and squashes are about half the size of yours and my chard is only a couple of inches high. It was much better last year.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:04:09 am »
WELL DONE!!

There's nothing like harvesting something after all that planning and hard work and in the early days it looks like nothing's going to come up and you doubt your own ability to grow anything!!! and why does Monty Don make it look so easy etc etc.

My veg growing exploits started as a two year plan which turned into a five year plan which is now morphing into a ten year plan!! but at last this year I will have all my raised beds done to my liking (that's probably why it turned into a five year plan!!!)

WELL DONE
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 06:51:09 pm »
well done KC!! Lovely grub.

Im not the grower here, its my husband. But I just love to se his veg plot and the lovely stuff quietly growing away. My hens have wreaked quite a lot of havoc but we appear to have foxed them with "Fortress Vegetable"  so things are now on the up & up.
Enjoy your lovely produce
Is it time to retire yet?

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:37:48 am »
The weather has been great... but the ground isn't.  It had pigs and horses on it and I assumed it would be lush BUT builder also hid about 10 tonnes of rubble and foundation clay in it, despite being paid for skips.... and last year and the start of this year I spent digging out and taking to the dump (they only allow 4 bags per month so there has been a LOT of sneaking around!!!)

I tried to grow on that plot before but each time I dug I would come up with rubble.... I still do a little but it is more manageable and I have beds.  There are some piccies here
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/kitchencottage/media/allotment7_zpsbcigkbix.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

If you still have a fair bit of land to cleanse  why not make a windrow ( long heap ) out of the rubbish and then when you have enough hire a skip or a miniskip for inert material .
 The so called landscapers that i engaged did the same trick on me  .
It took me several months to reallise it and another six to dig down 60 cm to remove it and heavily manure the ground  for the front and rear lawns and some small mother eath flowerbeds. 

In the end we loaded about 6 cubic metres of rubble  etc. into the skip.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 05:22:55 pm »
well done, its a great feeling isn't it  :excited:
________
Caroline

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS